18 December 2005 Military News
- MARINE DIES FROM NON-HOSTILE GUNSHOT WOUND
- Local residents aid in cache discoveries MNF-I 18 Dec 2005 -- Local citizens played a major role in the discovery of two weapons caches near Kirkuk Dec. 17.
- Major IED manufacturing cache discovered MNF-I 18 Dec 2005 -- A large cache of IED components was discovered by Soldiers from Task Force Band of Brothers, Dec. 15 near Hawijah.
- Airborne patrol detains suspects MNF-I 18 Dec 2005 -- Fifteen suspects were detained Dec. 17 at several locations near Tikrit as part of Operation Eagle Watch by Task Force troops.
- Citizen tip leads Task Force Baghdad Soldiers to mortar cache MNF-I 18 Dec 2005 -- A concerned local citizen in Tissa Nissan led a group of Soldiers from 1st Battalion, 64th Armor to a large mortar cache, Dec 16.
- Kabul Under Tight Security for Inauguration of New Afghan Parliament VOA 18 Dec 2005 -- Security is tight in the Afghan capital, Kabul, on the eve of the inauguration of the country's first parliament in more than 30 years.
Defense Policy / Programs
- GW Completes Fast Cruise, Underway for Sea Trials Navy NewsStand 18 Dec 2005 -- USS George Washington (GW) (CVN 73) completed a simulated underway, or Fast Cruise, and got underway Dec. 15 for sea trials, after a 10-and-a-half month Docked Planned Incremental Availability (DPIA) at Northrop Grumman Newport News shipyard.
- USS George Washington Completes Shipyard Work Navy NewsStand 18 Dec 2005 -- USS George Washington (CVN 73) returned to her homeport in Norfolk, Va., Dec. 17, following a scheduled 10-and-a-half month Docked Planned Incremental Availability (DPIA) at Northop Grumman Newport News shipyard.
- Chad Reports Attacks Near Sudan's Border VOA 18 Dec 2005 -- Chad's government says its forces are battling insurgents along its border with Sudan.
- EU Threatens to Halt Aid to Palestinian Authority VOA 18 Dec 2005 -- The European Union is threatening to cut off aid to the Palestinians, after the Islamic militant group Hamas won key local elections in the West Bank.
- Israel's Sharon Hospitalized After Mild Stroke VOA 18 Dec 2005 -- Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon has been hospitalized after suffering a mild stroke.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|