15 October 2005 Military News
- Coalition Forces foil terrorist attack on polling station MNF-I 15 Oct 2005 -- A Task Force Baghdad unit on patrol in south Baghdad Oct. 13 immediately responded to a terrorist mortar attack on a polling site by returning fire to drive the terrorists away.
- Assistant to senior al Qaeda in Iraq leader apprehended MNF-I 15 Oct 2005 -- Acting on reliable intelligence and information provided by concerned citizens, Multi-National Forces captured two senior al Qaeda in Iraq terrorists during raids in Baghdad Sept. 24.
- 10th Mountain Soldiers assist Iraqi forces at polls MNF-I 15 Oct 2005 -- Iraqi Army Soldiers and Iraqi Police secured polling stations in western Abu Ghraib in the days leading up to the Constitutional Referendum vote.
- U.S. Soldiers stop potential attack on polling site MNF-I 15 Oct 2005 -- Task Force Baghdad Soldiers detained 11 suspected terrorists at a checkpoint in Yusufiyah in the early afternoon of Oct. 15, heading off a potential attack on voters.
- Coalition Detains 24 Terrorists, Kill 12 Others, in Ramadi Raids AFPS 15 Oct 2005 -- Acting on intelligence sources and tips from concerned citizens, coalition forces detained 24 terrorists and killed at least 12 others in a series of raids near Ramadi on Oct. 14, officials said.
- Security Good as Millions of Iraqis Cast Constitution Ballots AFPS 15 Oct 2005 -- With Iraqi election officials and Iraqi security forces leading the way, millions of Iraqis streamed to the polls today to vote on their country's constitution.
- Soldiers, Marines discover weapons caches following Iraqi tip MNF-I 15 Oct 2005 -- Texas Army National Guard Soldiers and Marines from 2nd Force Service Support Group (Forward) discovered weapons caches near a primary school slated as a polling site here on Oct. 14.
- Dutch ministry confirms bombing of military convoy in Afghanistan IRNA 15 Oct 2005 -- A roadside bomb exploded as a Dutch military convoy was driving by in northern Afghanistan on Saturday morning, damaging one military vehicle, the Dutch news agency ANP quoted the Defense Ministry as saying in the Hague.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Kosovo: RFE/RL Speaks With UN Special Envoy Kai Eide RFE/RL 15 Oct 2005 -- RFE/RL correspondent Ilirjana A. Bajo spoke this week with Kai Eide, UN Secretary-General Kofi Anan's special envoy to Kosovo and Norwegian ambassador to NATO.
- Ivory Coast Warring Factions React to UN Decision on President VOA 15 Oct 2005 -- Ivory Coast's warring factions are divided in their reactions to a U.N. Security Council endorsement of a plan to avert a leadership crisis in the country.
- Earthquake Casualty Count Soars in Pakistan VOA 15 Oct 2005 -- The official death toll in Pakistan from last week's massive South Asia earthquake has risen to 38,000, with thousands more injured and millions homeless.
- Ecuador's Former President Gutierrez Arrested VOA 15 Oct 2005 -- Ecuador's former president Lucio Gutierrez, who has been living in exile in Colombia, was arrested when he returned to Ecuador to retake power.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|