27 August 2005 Military News
- DoD Identifies Army Casualties
- 1,000 Security Detainees Released From Abu Ghraib AFPS 27 Aug 2005 -- Coalition officials have released nearly 1,000 detainees from Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison over the past several days, officials in Baghdad, Iraq, announced.
- 1,000 security detainees released from Abu Ghraib MNF-I 27 Aug 2005 -- At the request and with the assistance of the Iraqi government, Multi-National Force - Iraq accelerated the Combined Review and Release Board process to expedite the release of nearly 1,000 detainees from the Abu Ghraib Theater Internment Facility from Aug. 24 through Aug. 27.
- Foreign terrorist facilitator killed in Mosul gun battle MNF-I 27 Aug 2005 -- Coalition forces killed Abu Khallad, a major facilitator of foreign fighters and suicide bombers into northern Iraq, during operations in Mosul on Aug. 25.
- Eleven suspected terrorists detained after Khalis raid MNF-I 27 Aug 2005 -- Eleven suspected terrorists detained after Khalis raid
- Premature IED detonation leads to capture of terrorists in Hit MNF-I 27 Aug 2005 -- Iraqi Army soldiers and Coalition forces conducting a dismounted patrol responded to the scene of an improvised explosive device detonation and searched the area, capturing two wounded insurgents Aug. 26.
- Task Force Liberty Soldiers and Iraqi Police capture terrorist MNF-I 27 Aug 2005 -- Task Force Liberty Soldiers and Iraqi Police captured a terrorist after responding to an explosion at a house in Kirkuk Aug. 27.
- German military mulls sending Tornado fighter jets to Afghanistan IRNA 27 Aug 2005 -- The German military is considering dispatching up to six Tornado fighter jets to Afghanistan in a bid to support the NATO-lead International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), the homepage of Der Spiegel news magazine reported Saturday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Pentagon Defends Environmental Policy In Response To Uzbek Claims RFE/RL 27 Aug 2005 -- A U.S. defense department spokesman yesterday defended the military's environmental policies following charges of abuse by several Uzbek senators.
- Senior Palestinian Militant Vows Attacks Against Israel Will Continue VOA News 27 Aug 2005 -- A man believed to be a senior commander of the military wing of the Palestinian militant group Hamas has vowed to continue armed resistance to force Israel to leave all Palestinian lands.
- Hamas Bombmaker Says Gaza Pullout Humiliated Israel VOA News 27 Aug 2005 -- A fugitive leader of the Palestinian militant group Hamas has appeared in a videotape calling Israel's withdrawal from the Gaza Strip a victory for Palestinian militants.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|