23 April 2005 Military News
- SOLDIER KILLED BY IED NEAR AL HASWAH
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- Iraq Explosions Kill 12; Wound 32 VOA 23 Apr 2005 -- A series of explosions has rocked the Iraqi capital and other parts of the country, killing at least a dozen people and wounding more than 30 others.
- Arrests Made in Iraq Helicopter Crash; Violence Continues VOA 23 Apr 2005 -- The U.S. military in Iraq announced the arrests of six men suspected in the Thursday downing of a civilian helicopter.
- U.S. Cavalry trains Iraq's 'Defenders of the Green Zone' MNF-I/MNC-I 23 Apr 2005 -- Members of the 6th Battalion, 8th Cavalry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, took the first steps toward the success of their new mission in Iraq April 18 -- training the "Defenders of the Green Zone."
- Iraqi tip takes down terrorists suspected of helo attack MNF-I/MNC-I 23 Apr 2005 -- An Iraqi civilian helped Task Force Baghdad Soldiers find and apprehend six terrorists suspected of shooting down a civilian MI-8 helicopter April 21.
- Silver Eagles, Stingers return home USMC News 23 Apr 2005 -- Marines and Sailors from Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 115 and Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 31 returned from a six-month deployment aboard the USS Harry S. Truman, Sunday and Monday.
- MEU transits Suez poised for combat USMC News 23 Apr 2005 -- The Marines and Sailors of the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit (Special Operations Capable) passed through the Suez Canal April 22, marking a significant milestone in MEU's deployment in support of the Global War on Terrorism.
- Afghan Security Forces Seize Heroin Shipment CENTCOM 23 Apr 2005 -- The Transitional Afghan Border Security Forces along with a small contingent of Coalition forces seized 479 kilograms of heroin along the northwestern border April 17.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Fightertown bids farewell to SAR USMC News 23 Apr 2005 -- A crowd gathered at the Air Station Headquarters parade deck on April 15, to bid farewell to an Angel and an era.
- All work, no horseplay for aircraft recovery specialists USMC News 23 Apr 2005 -- It was so hot that even the lizards afraid to leave their holes, regardless the job had to be done and the Marines were determined despite the rising mercury.
- WHO: Marburg Virus Coming Under Control VOA 23 Apr 2005 -- The World Health Organization says the outbreak of the deadly Marburg virus in Angola is now coming under control.
- Syrian Withdrawal from Lebanon to be Completed Soon VOA 23 Apr 2005 -- Lebanese officials say Syria's military and intelligence withdrawal from Lebanon will be complete ahead of schedule, within the next two days.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|