20 March 2004 Military News
- Military Accuses Six of Abusing Detainees in Iraq AFPS 20 Mar 2004 -- The military is going to prefer charges against six soldiers accused of abusing detainees at the Abu Gharib prison, coalition officials announced today in Baghdad.
- 100 arrested in anti Al-Qaeda operation: Pak military IRNA 20 Mar 2004 -- Pakistan military said Saturday that 100 miscreants, including foreign militants, have been arrested in four days in operation against Taliban and al-Qaeda suspects and those harbouring them in tribal area, bordering Afghanistan.
- US-led coalition `mistaken" fire pounds Pak territory IRNA 20 Mar 2004 -- Helicopters of US-led coalition forces, engaged in operation against Taliban and al-Qaeda along Pak-Afghan border, have pounded Pakistani territory "mistakenly", a government official said Saturday.
- PAKISTAN/AL QAIDA VOA 20 Mar 2004 -- Pakistan says a fierce military offensive has captured dozens of suspected al-Qaida militants, and the operation is continuing in a remote mountainous region near the Afghan border. Military officials say the militants may include a senior Chechen or Uzbek leader.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US Army Drops Charges Against Muslim Chaplain VOA News 20 Mar 2004 -- The United States military has dropped all criminal charges against an Army Muslim chaplain who ministered to Afghanistan war detainees at the U.S. Naval base in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
- TR Leads Way in AT/FP Navy Newsstand 20 Mar 2004-- USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71) is raising the standard when it comes to the Ship's Self-Defense Force (SSDF). Feb. 9 marked the beginning of a revolution in training, and TR is leading the way with an SSDF Academy.
- Crommelin Earns Battle 'E' Navy Newsstand 20 Mar 2004-- USS Crommelin (FFG 37) was awarded the Battle Efficiency Award, or Battle 'E', at an awards ceremony March 10 at pier Bravo 17.
- Success In Iraq Means a Safer World, Armitage Says Washington File 20 Mar 2004 -- A successful outcome in Iraq will result in a much safer world, "and we fully intend to be successful," Deputy Secretary Richard Armitage said March 19.
- Boeing Delta II Deploys 50th GPS Satellite Boeing 20 Mar 2004 -- The 50th satellite launched for the U.S. Air Force Global Positioning System (GPS), GPS IIR-11, was delivered to space today by a Boeing [NYSE: BA] Delta II rocket.
- U.S. Air Force Successfully Launches Upgraded GPS Satellite Built By Lockheed Martin Lockheed Martin 20 Mar 2004 -- A Global Positioning System (GPS) satellite built by Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] for the U.S. Air Force was successfully launched today from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. The satellite features significant upgrades, including an advanced antenna panel, which will deliver greater performance and power for GPS receivers. Today's launch represented the 50th GPS mission for the nation.
- RUSSIA/KOSOVO VOA 20 Mar 2004 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin is urging that tough action be taken Kosovo, where violence erupted earlier this week between Serbs and ethnic Albanians, who form the majority of the province's population.
- ISRAEL/PALESTINIANS VOA 20 Mar 2004 -- An armed wing of Palestinian President Yasser Arafat's Fatah faction admitted Saturday it had shot and killed an Arab man in Jerusalem, whom it had mistaken for an Israeli. The victim's father has called on Israeli and Palestinian leaders to stop the killing of more innocent civilians.
- ISRAEL/ARMY VOA 20 Mar 2004 -- Israel's security forces have been hit with a series of legal actions over their treatment of Palestinians. At least one officer is to be charged with manslaughter, and a Palestinian youth has been awarded financial compensation after being severely wounded.
- SLOVAKIA/BALKANS VOA 20 Mar 2004 -- The prime ministers of Albania and Macedonia, two nations that will not be included in this year's expansion of NATO and the European Union, are urging those institutions to integrate the Balkans into European structures. Meanwhile, Georgia's new president said his country also considers itself part of Europe.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|