20 December 2003 Military News
- TASK FORCE "ALL AMERICAN" CAPTURES AGGRESSORS, PROMOTES PEACE CENTCOM Release 20 Dec 2003-- Soldiers from Task Force "All American" continue missions aimed at assisting local Iraqis in developing a new era of peace and prosperity for all the country's people.
- COALITION FORCES MAKE SECOND MAJOR DRUG SEIZURE IN FIVE DAYS CENTCOM Release 20 Dec 2003-- Five days after nearly 10 million dollars worth of hashish was found aboard a dhow in the Arabian Gulf, coalition forces have made another significant drug interception. Intelligence gained from the Dec. 15 raid by USS Decatur (DDG 73) led the U.S. Navy to board two dhows in the North Arabian Sea, this time discovering what is believed to be pure heroin and methamphetamines.
- IRAQ/WRAP VOA 20 Dec 2003 -- U-S troops have mistakenly killed three Iraqi police officers in northern Iraq, and the Spanish prime minister has staged a top-secret, lightning visit to Spanish troops in the south.
- Navy Detains 4 Suspected Al Qaeda AFPS 20 Dec 2003 -- Navy forces have detained four al Qaeda suspects as a result of maritime interdiction operations in the U.S. Central Command area or responsibility, Vice Adm. David Nichols said Dec. 19.
- Waging the War on Terror in the Horn of Africa AFPS 20 Dec 2003 -- The American presence here has helped thwart at least three and possibly as many as 10 terrorist attacks in the Horn of Africa region, said Marine Brig. Gen. Mastin Robeson, commander of the Combined Joint Task Force - Horn of Africa.
- Afghanistan: Karzai Satisfied With Work Of Loya Jirga RFE/RL 20 Dec 2003 -- Afghan leader Hamid Karzai (pictured) said today delegates at the Constitutional Loya Jirga, or grand assembly, debating Afghanistan's new draft constitution had made good progress during their first days of work.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Hampton Roads Welcomes HSV 2 Swift Navy Newsstand 20 Dec 2003-- HSV 2 Swift, a revolutionary catamaran leased by the Navy as a mine countermeasures and sea basing test platform, will be making a stop at Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek before moving on to the nation's capital and ultimately, its homeport of Naval Station Ingleside, Texas.
- Bahrain Purchases Lockheed Martin's Multiple Launch Rocket System Extended-Range Rockets Lockheed Martin 20 Dec 2003 -- Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control - Dallas has received a $6.5 million contract for Extended-Range Multiple Launch Rocket System (MLRS) rockets for the nation of Bahrain.
- Delhi urges Dhaka to launch military offensive to evict separatists IRNA 20 Dec 2003 -- India on Saturday urged Dhaka to launch a military offensive to evict Indian separatists from Bangladesh on the lines of the crackdown in adjoining Bhutan, officials said.
- CYPRUS POLITICS VOA 20 Dec 2003 -- European Council Secretary-General Walter Schwimmer says last Sunday's general elections in Northern Cyprus clearly expressed the desire of Turkish Cypriots to join the European Union next May.
- WEST AFRICA: ECOWAS creates peace fund, retains Kufuor as chairman IRIN 20 Dec 2003 -- The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) has created a peace fund to react quickly to security problems in the region, but the organisation's annual summit on Friday failed to make progress in settling the conflict in Cote d'Ivoire.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|