14 September 2003 Military News
- AFGHANISTAN / PAKISTAN MILITANTS VOA 14 Sept 2003-- Afghan President Hamid Karzai is accusing Muslim clergy in neighboring Pakistan of fueling attacks inside his country
- U.S. Not 'Bogged Down' in Iraq, Rumsfeld Asserts AFPS 14 Sept 2003-- The United States military "is not bogged down" in Iraq, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld told a national television audience today.
- Iraq: U.S. Soldier Killed By Bomb In Al-Fallujah RFE/RL 14 Sep 2003 -- A U.S. soldier was killed and three more were wounded today when their convoy ran over a bomb planted on a road in the Iraqi town of Al-Fallujah.
- BUSH/IRAQ VOA 14 Sept 2003-- The Bush administration is defending the high cost of the war on terrorism and the war in Iraq. This, as a new poll shows many Americans have concerns about the president's request for 87-billion dollars for military operations and reconstruction efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan
- LIBERIA/DISPLACED VOA 14 Sept 2003-- The United Nations has begun moving thousands of homeless people out of Liberia's overcrowded capital, Monrovia, to camps on the outskirts of the city
- Army 10th Mountain Division trains with Ethiopian military Marine Corps News 14 Sept 2003-- The Army 10th Mountain Division supporting Combined Joint Task Force - Horn of Africa has been participating in military-to-military training with the Ethiopian Army here since the beginning of July.
- Engineers build trust in hearts of Ethiopians Marine Corps News 14 Sept 2003-- Army Reserve soldiers of Detachment 2, 463rd Engineer Battalion here supporting Combined Joint Task Force - Horn of Africa, have built a special bond with the residents of Hurso, Ethiopia.
- American military delivers polio vaccine in Ethiopia Marine Corps News 14 Sept 2003-- An Army reserves team from the 478th Civil Affairs Battalion (Special Operations) supporting Combined Joint Task Force - Horn of Africa, vaccinated more than 15,000 children in the Ethiopian region against polio, Aug. 29 - Sept. 5.
Defense Policy / Programs
- ISRAEL/ARAFAT VOA 14 Sept 2003-- Israel's deputy prime minister, Ehud Olmert, says that killing President Yasser Arafat is one option being considered to carry out the Israeli security cabinet's intention to remove the Palestinian leader
- U-S / MIDEAST VOA 14 Sept 2003-- Secretary of State Colin Powell says the United States does not support eliminating or exiling Palestinian President Yasser Arafat, saying such a move could lead to anger spreading across the region
- Cheney: Sept. 11 Changed Everything AFPS 14 Sept 2003-- Emphasizing that any loss of life or injury is "regrettable," Vice President Richard B. Cheney said here today that the cost of doing nothing or being unsuccessful in the global war on terror would be far higher than getting the job done right.
- WFP/ERITREA VOA 14 Sept 2003-- The World Food Program, W-F-P, says the situation in Eritrea is improving, because rain is finally falling in the drought-stricken country
- GUINEA BISSAU/COUP VOA 14 Sept 2003-- The armed forces have staged a bloodless coup in Guinea Bissau and taken President Kumba Yala prisoner.
- GUINEA-BISSAU: Army ousts president who kept delaying elections IRIN 14 Sep 2003 -- President Kumba Yala of Guinea-Bissau was desposed by the army in a bloodless coup on Sunday after delaying parliamentary elections in this small West African state for nearly a year and leaving civil servants and soldiers unpaid for several months.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|