22 September 2002 Military News
- Bush Reports on Deployment of U.S. Forces to Fight Terrorism Washington File 22 Sept 2002-- President Bush sent a letter to the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the President Pro Tempore of the Senate September 20 reporting on the deployment of U.S. forces around the world to fight terrorism.
- ISRAEL/PALESTINIANS VOA 22 Sept 2002-- Violent demonstrations erupted in the West Bank and Gaza Strip Sunday, as Israel laid siege to, and demolished most of, the headquarters of Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat. While Israeli forces halted demolition late Sunday, they continued pressure on the Palestinian leader to turn over wanted Palestinians.
- EGYPT/ISRAEL VOA 22 Sept 2002-- Egypt and other Arab states are calling on the international community to intervene to end the Israeli siege of Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat's headquarters, launched by Israeli troops Thursday night following a suicide bombing in Tel Aviv that killed six people
- IVORY COAST/UNREST VOA 22 Sept 2002-- Rebels in Ivory Coast say they are willing to enter negotiations with the government. The announcement came Sunday, as a military convoy of armored vehicles and tanks approached two northern cities that remained under the control of anti-government forces
Defense Policy / Programs
- Transcript: Rumsfeld Plans to Propose NATO Rapid Reaction Force Washington File 22 Sept 2002-- Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld says he plans to discuss a proposal for a rapid reaction force when he meets with NATO defense ministers in Warsaw, Poland next week.
- Rumsfeld: NATO, Like U.S., Needs to Transform Its Military AFPS 22 Sept 2002-- NATO -- like the United States -- must transform its military to become more capable and flexible in preparation for 21st century contingencies, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said.
- U-S / TERRORIST ATTACK VOA 22 Sept 2002-- U-S lawmakers said Sunday the United States remains vulnerable to attacks by terrorists, who, they say, number in the tens of thousands worldwide
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|