27 August 2002 Military News
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICE OF THE SPOKESMAN FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 27 Aug 2002
Defense Policy / Programs
- Secretary Rumsfeld at Camp Pendleton Town Hall Meeting 27 Aug 2002-- Rumsfeld: Now what about the effect of all of it? In every war, in every battle, it takes a certain amount of arranging prior to the battle, prior to the war. And I guess that we live in this world we live in, where so much is known so fast. I looked the other day at one of our airfields that we use in the Middle East, and there was a commercial satellite photograph on one of the television channels, showing exactly where our fighter aircraft and where our refueling aircraft were located on that airport -- this is on a television station -- from a commercial aircraft -- a commercial satellite, showing where our planes were and how they'd move, how one was there yesterday and was not there today, and noting that.
- DOD ANNOUNCES BIOLOGICAL DEFENSE HOMELAND SECURITY INITIATIVE 27 Aug 2002 -- The Department of Defense announced today that the deputy assistant to the secretary of defense for chemical and biological defense is initiating a new program to support homeland security called the Biological Defense Homeland Security Support Program.
- Tactical Tomahawk Takes Flight Navy News Stand 27 Aug 2002-- The Navy's next generation Tomahawk cruise missile, the Tactical Tomahawk, took flight recently at the Naval Air Sytems Command (NAVAIR) Western Test Range Complex in Calif. as part of the contractor test and evaluation phase.
- Rumsfeld Praises Sailors, Marines in San Diego, Camp Pendleton AFPS 27 Aug 2002-- Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld today received thunderous cheers from thousands of sailors and Marines here and at Camp Pendleton as he thanked them for their efforts in the global war on terrorism
- DoD To Develop Biological Agent Early Warning System AFPS 27 Aug 2002-- Say you wake up one fine morning in Anytown, U.S.A., walk over to the open window and take in a deep breath of fresh air . ahhhhhhh!
- DOD ANNOUNCES BIOLOGICAL DEFENSE HOMELAND SECURITY INITIATIVE "The Department of Defense announced today that the deputy assistant to the secretary of defense for chemical and biological defense is initiating a new program to support homeland security called the Biological Defense Homeland Security Support Program. The purpose of the program is to achieve early detection and characterization of a biological-related incident in an urban area in order to reduce casualties, minimize disruption to infrastructures and support consequence management efforts."
- General Dynamics Acquires Command System Incorporated General Dynamics 27 Aug 2002 -- General Dynamics (NYSE: GD) has acquired privately held Command System Incorporated (CSI) of Fort Wayne, Indiana; terms of the transaction were not disclosed. CSI provides command and control software and hardware to U.S. and international military markets; it has 34 employees.
- Northrop Grumman Receives $36.9 Million RAMICS Contract Northrop Grumman 27 Aug 2002 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) has been awarded a three-year, $36.9 million contract to develop a Rapid Airborne Mine Clearance System (RAMICS) for the U.S. Navy to protect the fleet from near-surface and floating mines.
- Northrop Grumman Awards Contract to Aurora Flight Sciences for Global Hawk Components, Tooling Northrop Grumman 27 Aug 2002 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation's (NYSE:NOC) Integrated Systems sector, prime contractor for the Global Hawk unmanned reconnaissance system, has awarded two contracts to Aurora Flight Sciences for fabrication of the Global Hawk V-tails, aft fuselages, nacelles, fairings and for new tooling to be used in the fabrication of the composite hardware.
- Northrop Grumman - U.S. Air Force Team Successfully Tests Feasibility of Releasing Bat Submunition From Predator UAV Northrop Grumman 27 Aug 2002 -- The U.S. Air Force and Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) conducted drop tests July 25 and Aug. 13 that successfully demonstrated the feasibility of releasing a Bat submunition from a Predator unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV).
- BAE SYSTEMS delivers satellite communications to NATO BAE Systems 27 Aug 2002 -- BAE Systems C4ISR has completed the delivery of three of the newly designed Talon transportable satellite communications terminals, leased by the UK Defence Procurement Agency, to the headquarters of NATO's Allied Command Europe Rapid Reaction Corps (ARRC) near Rheindalen, Germany, from where they will be deployed wherever needed to enhance the Command's operational effectiveness.
- SHAPE NEWS MORNING UPDATE 27 Aug 2002-- Macedonia (sic) says Albanian gunmen seek to wreck vote
- SHAPE News Summary & Analysis 27 Aug 2002 -- GERMANY-A400M / CZECH REPUBLIC-FIGHTER JETS / ESDP-UNITED STATES / IRAQ / AFGHANISTAN
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|