13 June 2002 Military News
- NATO Forces in Bosnia Detain War Crimes Suspect Darko Mrda Washington File 13 Jun 2002-- Today, 13 June 2002, SFOR detained Darko Mrda, who was under indictment by the International Criminal Tribunal for Yugoslavia for war crimes. Mr. Mrda was detained in Prijedor in northwestern Bosnia and Herzegovina and is being transferred to The Hague. There were no casualties sustained in this operation by SFOR, Mr. Mrda or anyone in the surrounding area.
- FAROUQ BASHAR/LOYA JIRGA VOA 13 Jun 2002-- A new Afghan government is currently being fashioned by the loya jirga, Afghanistan's tribal council
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICE OF THE SPOKESMAN FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 13 Jun 2002
- SUDAN / PEACE TALKS VOA 13 Jun 2002-- The government of Sudan is demanding that rebel forces leave a strategic town which they captured earlier this week. But rebels say that it was a legitimate target
- BRITAIN / MIDEAST VOA 13 Jun 2002-- Britain says the international community must continue to deal with Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat as it seeks peace in the Middle East
- ISRAEL-PALESTINIANS VOA 13 Jun 2002-- Israeli troops have ended their blockade of Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat's headquarters in the West Bank city, Ramallah. The withdrawal came as Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, arrived home after talks in Washington and London.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Maritime Administrator Backs Boosting U.S. Merchant Fleet Washington File 13 Jun 2002-- U.S. Maritime Administrator William Schubert calls for expanding the U.S. merchant fleet to enhance U.S. security and emergency preparedness.
- BAE SYSTEMS to supply Bowman communications management system and modelling facility BAE Systems 13 Jun 2002 -- BAE Systems C4ISR has received a contract from General Dynamics UK Limited for the supply of both the BOWMAN Communications Management System (BCMS) and the Land Systems Reference Centre (LSRC) BOWMAN Modelling Facility (LBMF) valued at approximately 11 million.
- BAE SYSTEMS to supply IFF consultancy services BAE Systems 13 Jun 2002 -- BAE Systems C4ISR has been awarded a contract for the supply of comprehensive consultancy services in the field of Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) by a major European nation. The company will assess a wide range of military platforms and advise the customer on optimal IFF installation solutions.
- Boeing X-31A VECTOR Resumes Flight Testing Under International Program Boeing 13 Jun 2002 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] announced today that the X-31A aircraft has begun flight testing in Phase II of the VECTOR program. VECTOR is a multinational program focused on demonstrating how thrust vectoring can be used to help aircraft achieve extremely short takeoffs and landings (ESTOL).
- F-22 Raptor Team Successfully Completes Key Phase of Logistics Testing Ahead of Schedule Lockheed Martin 13 Jun 2002 -- The Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT]-led F-22 Raptor air dominance fighter team successfully completed a key phase of logistics testing and evaluation (LT&E) here this week - several days ahead of schedule.
- Lockheed Martin-U.S. Navy Aegis Weapon System Guides Standard Missile to Target Intercept Lockheed Martin 13 Jun 2002 -- For the second time in less than six months, the Lockheed Martin-developed Aegis Weapon System successfully guided a Standard Missile (SM)-3 to a ballistic missile target hit.
- ASIA TERROR LAW VOA 13 Jun 2002-- Asian countries particularly in Southeast Asia are under considerable pressure to step up legal reforms to prevent the spread of terrorist groups in the region
- SINGAPORE / U-S SECURITY VOA 13 Jun 2002-- Singapore and the United States will work together to develop a system to deter the smuggling of weapons of mass destruction between ports
- SHAPE NEWS MORNING UPDATE 13 Jun 2002-- International agencies vow anti-terror cooperation
- Bush Says U.S. Must Protect Homeland in a New Way Washington File 13 Jun 2002-- The challenge of international terrorism demands that the United States protect its homeland in a new way, President Bush says, and at the heart of that new way is the creation of a Department of Homeland Security.
- SHAPE NEWS SUMMARY & ANALYSIS 13 Jun 2002-- Balkan satellite imagery reportedly showing on satellite television
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|