12 June 2002 Military News
- MC-130 Special Operations Plane Crashes in Afghanistan AFPS 12 Jun 2002-- An Air Force MC-130H Combat Talon II aircraft crashed on takeoff in southeast Afghanistan with 10 Americans aboard.
- MC-130 crashes in Afghanistan AFPN 12 Jun 2002-- At about 1 p.m. EDT, June 12, a U.S. Air Force MC-130 crashed on takeoff near the Bande Sardeh Dam in Afghanistan. Ten passengers were aboard the aircraft. U.S. search and rescue forces are at the crash site.
- AFGHAN POL VOA 12 Jun 2002-- Afghanistan's grand elective council went into its second session, the first at which delegates could take to the floor to speak
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICE OF THE SPOKESMAN FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 12 Jun 2002
- BLAIR / SHARON VOA 12 Jun 2002-- British Prime Minister Tony Blair and Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon have met in London to discuss the Middle East crisis
- ISRAEL / PALESTINIANS VOA 12 Jun 2002-- Palestinians say at least six-people, including a young boy, were killed when Israeli troops opened fire on Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip
- CHINA XINJIANG TERROR VOA 12 Jun 2002-- Chinese officials say the capture of a key terrorist leader and hundreds of his supporters has blunted a Muslim separatist threat to its oil-rich Xinjiang (pronounced: shin-jiang) region. Critics accuse China of exaggerating the danger to excuse a broad crackdown on the Muslim Uighur (pronounced: wee-gur) population in the region
Defense Policy / Programs
- General Dynamics Canada Wins $128 Million Contract General Dynamics 12 Jun 2002 -- General Dynamics (NYSE: GD) announced today that its Canadian subsidiary, General Dynamics Canada, was awarded a contract valued at $128 million ($198 million Canadian) by the Canadian Department of National Defense to supply and integrate a new data management system for the CP-140 Aurora, Canada’s long-range maritime patrol aircraft, as part of the ongoing Aurora Incremental Modernisation Project (AIMP).
- Two Key Partners Unveiled for Lockheed Martin's Watchkeeper Bid Lockheed Martin 12 Jun 2002 -- Lockheed Martin UK Integrated Systems today revealed that it has secured two of the UK's top defence equipment suppliers as part of its team bidding for the Watchkeeper battlefield surveillance system.
- ATK Awarded Contracts Totaling $85 Million for Trident Missile Propulsion Systems ATK 12 Jun 2002 -- ATK (Alliant Techsystems) (NYSE: ATK) has been awarded two contracts with a combined value of $85 million from Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company - Missiles & Space Operations, Sunnyvale, Calif., to produce solid propulsion systems for all three stages of the U.S. Navy's Trident II (D-5) Fleet Ballistic Missile (FBM).
- DIRTY BOMB / COURT VOA 12 Jun 2002-- A federal judge in New York Wednesday gave the U-S government until June 21 to respond to a motion to release Jose Padilla, a U-S citizen held in military custody for allegedly plotting to detonate a radioactive bomb
- TERROR: THE IRANIAN CONNECTION VOA 12 Jun 2002-- This month marks the thirteenth anniversary of the death of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, leader of Iran's 1979 Islamic revolution. In Tehran, the anniversary was commemorated with an anti-Israel conference of some of the world's most notorious terrorists, among them, Hezbollah, Hamas, Palestinian Islamic Jihad and the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine-General Command. This is in stark contrast to the feelings of ordinary Iranians, many of whom expressed sympathy for Americans after the September 11th terrorist attacks. But Iran's supreme clerical ruler, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, has made it a crime for Iranians to call for a dialogue with the United States. Even the reformist Iranian president Mohammed Khatami has agreed to go along with the ban. While the Iranian government embraces terrorism, the Iranian people clamor for freedom and human rights. How will that conflict be resolved?
- EGYPT / ISLAMIST VOA 12 Jun 2002-- Egyptian authorities have arrested a founder of one of Egypt's largest Muslim militant groups
- SHAPE NEWS MORNING UPDATE 12 Jun 2002-- Powell to press for counter-terrorism cooperation at meeting of G-8 foreign ministers in Canada
- SHAPE NEWS SUMMARY & ANALYSIS 12 Jun 2002-- Morocco uncovers Al Qaeda plot-media reactions
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|