03 December 1999 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Boeing Begins Upgrade Of NATO AWACS Aircraft Boeing 03 Dec 1999 -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] has begun upgrading the first NATO Airborne Warning and Control System (AWACS) aircraft as part of the NATO Mid-Term Modernization Program.
- 3 December 1999 - DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY OFFICE OF SPOKESMAN FOR SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 03 Dec 1999
- RUSSIA CHECHNYA Voice of America 03 December 1999 -- Russian forces are claiming a major victory, saying they have seized the town of Argun, which guards the eastern approach to the capital Grozny.
- OF BORIS N. YELTSIN, PRESIDENT OF THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION, ON THE PROBLEMS OF CHECHNYA DECEMBER 3, 1999 -- TODAY OUR COUNTRY IS WAGING A GRAVE BATTLE AGAINST INTERNATIONAL TERRORISM, WHICH HAS TOSSED A BRAZEN CHALLENGE TO THE PEOPLES OF RUSSIA.
- US Department of State Daily Press Briefing 03 December 1999 -- Sec. Albright asked FM Ivanov about extremely troubling report of killing of 250 Russian soldiers. She stated US opposition actions in Chechnya. FM Ivanov restated Russian policy, assured Sec. Albright the OSCE visit would go forward. Chechen rebel tactics play a part in the Chechnya situation as well. US has been concerned for some time over links between international terrorism and Chechen and other rebels. Russia is still completing economic conditions required by its IMF program.
- BRIEFING BY HUMANITARIAN COORDINATOR FOR BURUNDI United Nations 03 Dec 1999
- U-N-BURUNDI CONCERNS Voice of America 03 December 1999 -- The United Nations Security Council today (Friday) repeated its concern about the situation in the African nation of Burundi where fighting has created a major humanitarian crisis.
- CONGO REBELS Voice of America 03 December 1999 -- Rebels in the Democratic Republic of Congo say government troops have recaptured a key town on the northwestern front.
- U-N-H-C-R / TIMOR Voice of America 03 December 1999 -- The United Nations Refugee Agency, U-N-H-C-R, says the repatriation program in East Timor has reached a critical stage.
- ARGENTINA / "DIRTY WAR" AFTERMATH Voice of America 03 December 1999 -- One of the most notorious generals in Argentina's last military dictatorship is in jail, after testifying Friday before a federal judge in Buenos Aires.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|