09 October 1999 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Text: Assistant Secretary Koh Remarks to Press in Jakarta USIA 09 October 1999 -- The United States supports Indonesia's emergence as a democratic society, but stresses the need for addressing the humanitarian crisisof East Timor, says Assistant Secretary of State for Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor Harold Hongju Koh.
- TIMOR WARNING Voice of America 9 October 1999 -- Australian Prime Minister John Howard has renewed warnings about the potential dangers of the peacekeeping mission in East Timor.
- RUSSIA/CHECHEN BORDER Voice of America 9 October 1999 -- Russian military officials say they have successfully carried out air strikes and shelling against Islamic militants operating in the breakaway republic of Chechnya.
- CHECHNYA CASUALTIES Voice of America 9 October 1999 -- Russian foreign minister Igor Ivanov has admitted that the current military campaign in Chechnya is causing heavy civilian casualties.
- BURUNDI/REFUGEE CAMPS Voice of America 9 October 1999 -- Burundi's army is forcing thousands of people out of their homes and into resettlement camps. The government says it is a necessary step to stop rebel attacks, but international aid groups say the resettlement is illegal and inhumane.
- AFGHAN EXPLOSION Voice of America 9 October 1999 -- A powerful explosion at a military base in northern Afghanistan has killed at least seven people and injured about 12 others.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|