The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW

Military

DATE=10/9/1999 TYPE=CORRESPONDENT REPORT TITLE=AFGHAN EXPLOSION (S-ONLY) NUMBER=2-254836 BYLINE=SCOTT ANGER DATELINE=KABUL CONTENT= VOICED AT: INTRO: A powerful explosion at a military base in northern Afghanistan has killed at least seven people and injured about 12 others. From the Afghan capital, V-O-A's Scott Anger reports. TEXT: The Pakistan-based Afghan Islamic Press, or A- I-P, says the powerful explosion tore through an ammunition depot on the western outskirts of Mazar-e- Sharif Saturday morning. A-I-P says the explosion occurred while Taleban soldiers had been moving explosives at the base. Taleban officials confirm soldiers had been careless while loading ammunition onto trucks. They haved ruled out sabotage. The initial explosion triggered a series of small explosions and a fire that reportedly engulfed the area for about two hours. Mazar-e-Sharif is the last major Afghan city to fall to the hard-line Taleban. The Taleban movement controls about 90 percent of the country but still faces tough opposition from fighters loyal to the ousted government, which controls the remaining 10 percent of northern Afghanistan. (SIGNED) NEB/SA/JP 09-Oct-1999 11:40 AM EDT (09-Oct-1999 1540 UTC) NNNN Source: Voice of America .





NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list