19 January 1999 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- V-22 Begins Sea Trials Aboard USS Saipan Boeing 19 Jan 1999 -- The V-22 Osprey entered another phase of its flight test program Jan. 15 when one of the MV-22 engineering and manufacturing development (EMD) aircraft flew aboard the USS Saipan, beginning sea trials scheduled to last until mid-February.
- ORBITAL RECEIVES “OUTSTANDING TEAM PLAYER” AWARD ON U.S. AIR FORCE’S F-22 FIGHTER AIRCRAFT PROGRAM Orbital Sciences Corp. 19 Jan 1999 -- Orbital Sciences Corporation (NYSE: ORB) was selected by the Lockheed Martin Corporation (NYSE: LMT) for the 1998 “Outstanding Team Player” award on the F-22 Raptor air-dominance fighter aircraft program. For the third year in a row, Lockheed recognized Orbital’s contributions to the F-22 program over those of 220 other subcontractors throughout the United States.
- 19 January 1999 - DAILY PRESS BRIEFING OF OFFICE OF SPOKESMAN FOR SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 19 Jan 1999
- PRESS BRIEFING BY UNITED NATIONS CHILDREN'S FUND United Nations 19 Jan 1999
- AFRICA'S CONFLICTS: SIERRA LEONE, DROC, ANGOLA, ETHIOPIA-ERITREA USIS Foreign Media Reaction Report -- January 19, 1999 -- Alarmed at the conflicts raging in Sierra Leone, the Democratic Republic of Congo (DROC), Angola and the border dispute between Ethiopia and Eritrea, editorialists in Africa deplored the increasing hostilities on the continent.
- CONGO TALKS Voice of America 19 January 1999 -- FIVE SOUTHERN AFRICAN STATES INVOLVED IN THE CIVIL WAR IN THE DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO HAVE AGREED TO SIGN A CEASEFIRE. BUT THE AGREEMENT DOES NOT YET INCLUDE THE GOVERNMENT OF CONGO-KINSHASA.
- ANGOLA/DRAFT Voice of America 19 January 1999 -- THE ANGOLAN GOVERNMENT HAS BEGUN REGISTERING YOUNG MEN FOR COMPULSORY MILITARY SERVICE, FOLLOWING RENEWED FIGHTING WITH "UNITA" REBELS THAT HAS SHATTERED A FOUR-YEAR-OLD, U-N-BACKED PEACE EFFORT.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|