UNITED24 - Make a charitable donation in support of Ukraine!


Sabre Army Heliport

Fort Campbell is home to the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault). No other military force in the world incorporates assault helicopters so directly into its mission. Operations at Fort Campbell are concentrated in four major areas; the Main Cantonment area, Campbell Army Airfield, Old Clarksville Base, and the Sabre Army Heliport. These four areas represent approximately 20 percent of the base, with the remaining 80 percent devoted to various training activities. The SABRE Heliport, built in 1976, was designed to accommodate UH-1 "Huey" helicopters. Over the next quarter century, the Division evolved its tactical lift assets from the UH-1 to the UH-60 "Blackhawk."

In 1998 Congress required the Army to conduct a study to determine the needs of the heliport and a plan to address its shortcomings. This plan was completed and the President budgeted $2.47 million in FY 2000 for this project. The final version of the Military Construction Appropriations bill for Fiscal Year 2000 included $19.5 million for urgent improvements to the SABRE Heliport. The money would be used to widen the landing area to accommodate Blackhawk helicopters.

Under the "Best Value" method of contracting, The Lane Construction Corporation was selected in September 2000 to perform the construction of a new concrete runway and taxiway project for helicopter use at Sabre Army Heliport. The project consists of a 1357 meter long by 30 meter wide instrument flight rule runway along with a 1240 meter long by 15 meter wide parallel taxiway with three new connecting taxiways, a visual flight rule helipad and all associated lighting. After clearing the 87 acre site, more than 900,000 cubic yards of embankment is required to bring the site to grade. Approximately 25,000 linear feet of sub-drainage system as well as 7300 feet of storm drainage lines were needed to control storm water runoff. Final pavement design consists of 94,000 square yards of 9" thick plain and reinforced concrete pavement on an open-graded stabilized drainage layer. The shoulders of both the runway and taxiway are constructed of bituminous asphalt on a graded aggregate sub-base course.

Fort Campbell's Pollution Prevention Operations Center (PPOC) has exemplified State and Military standards by winning Tennessee's 1999 Governor's Award for Excellence in Hazardous Waste Management, Large Quantity Generator category. The program has gained this recognition due to its unique concept of single point accountability and cradle to grave management of hazardous materials and waste. Situated within two states, the PPOC has endeavored to comply with Tennessee, Kentucky and the Army's stringent environmental policies. The PPOC was instituted in 1996 following a six-month operational test conducted at Sabre Army Heliport at Fort Campbell. Contracts were awarded to DynCorp Aerospace Technologies for the management of hazardous materials and hazardous wastes along with JM Waller & Associates for administration of the Hazardous Substance Management System.

Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list

Page last modified: 05-07-2011 02:56:13 ZULU