Hanchey Army Heliport
The Aviation Training Brigade consists of five battalions that conduct flight training at Fort Rucker at three training sites. 1st Battalion, 14th Aviation Regiment, Hanchey Army Heliport conducts graduate level flight training in the AH-64A, AH-64D and OH-58D aircraft.
On 5 October 1959, the Department of Rotary Wing Training of the Army Aviation School moved into its new home at Hanchey Army Air Field. With ample parking space, maintenance facilities, and modem classrooms located on the field, the department was centralized for the first time. By this time, the department had complete control of the eastern portion of the Fort Rucker reservation and had expanded off-post with one stagefield and sixty-five tactical training sites.
Charles Wesley Hanchey enlisted in the Army and graduated from Army Officer Candidate School in November 1942. He attended the liaison pilot's course at Fort Sill in 1943 and served as an artillery observation pilot in Europe during World War II. He attended the helicopter pilot's course at San Marcos, TX, in 1948. He was assigned to the Department of Air Training at Fort Sill, 1949-1952. He was one of the few fixed-wing pilots who envisioned the helicopter as having a broad application to all aspects of warfare. In his position at the Department of Air Training, he represented the Army at several helicopter design competitions, helping to choose the ancestors of the airframes in use today. While attending the Command and General Staff College at Fort Leavenworth, he suffered a heart attack on 31 May 1957 and died at the age of 39.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|