Naval Air Station Bermuda
Naval Air Station Bermuda [NASBERM] officially marked the end of more than a half century of American military presence on the island with a ceremony 02 June 1995. Navy personnel turned over all air operations to the Government of Bermuda on June 1, including weather forecasting, air traffic control, electronic maintenance and fire fighting. American military personnel have operated and maintained the island's only airfield since 1941. NAS Bermuda remained open until August 31. The official decommissioning ceremony was scheduled in early June because of the rapid drawdown of military personnel after the turnover of air operations.
Bermuda Islands, where two major US military bases, built in 1941-2, flourished until 1995. At one point, there were four US bases in Bermuda. When the USNAS and US Naval Annex left in 1995, The Bermuda Government immediately took over, relocated many civilian organizations there and destroyed some buildings deemed unsafe.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|