Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron-13 [MALS-13]
Previously known as Headquarters and Maintenance Squadron (H&MS)-13, the squadron was activated in March 1942 and provided support during the Pacific phase of World War II, participating in the Samoan and Marshall Islands campaigns.
During the Korean War, the squadron was deployed to Hawaii and Atsugi, Japan, in support of Marine units in the Pacific Theater. At the outset of the Vietnam era, H&MS-13 moved again to Iwakuni, Japan, and on to Chu Lai in the Republic of Vietnam, supporting units of the 1st Marine Aircraft Wing with maintenance and flight operations including tactical and forward air control missions.
The squadron returned to El Toro in October 1970, operating the OA-4M, a two-seat Skyhawk providing tactical air control services to the 3rd MAW as well as many other utility missions. The command moved to Yuma on October 1, 1987, and was redesignated as Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron (MALS)-13 on October 5, 1988.
MALS-13 provides intermediate level maintenance and supply support to the four AV-8B Harrier squadrons of MAG-13, enabling the squadrons to deploy worldwide. It is the largest squadron in MAG-13 with over 600 officers and enlisted Marines.
Nearly 100 Marines from Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron Thirteen (MALS 13) have integrated with Sailors from the aircraft intermediate maintenance department (AIMD) aboard USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6).
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|