Find a Security Clearance Job!

Military


4th Combat Engineer Battalion

The 4th Combat Engineer Battalion, 4th Marine Division, USMCR, is part of the Marine Forces Reserve. Ninety-three percent of its personnel are "Citizen Marines". The others are Active Duty Marines called Inspector-Instructors. The unit that is integrated with both actvie duty and reserve Marines.

4th Combat Engineer Battalion's mission is to enhance the mobility, counter-mobility, and survivability of the Marine division through close combat engineer support and to provide limited general engineer support for the functioning of a Marine Division.

The 4th Combat Engineer Battalion was activated on 25 August 1943 at Camp Pendleton, CA, as Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 20th Marines, 4th Marine Division, Fleet Marine Force.

It deployed during February 1944 to the Pacific Area. It was redesignated on 31 August 1944 as Headquarters and Service Company, 4th Engineer Battalion, 4th Marine Division, Fleet Marine Force. It took part in the following World War II Campaigns:

  • Kwajalein
  • Tinian
  • Iwo Jima

The unit redeployed during October 1945 to Maui, Territory of Hawaii. It relocated during November 1945 to Camp Pendleton, CA. It deactivated on 15 November 1945.

The unit reactivated on 1 November 1951 at Baltimore, MD, as Headquarters Company, 1st Engineer Battalion, USMCR. It was redesignated on 1 July 1962 as the 4th Engineer Battalion, 4th Marine Division, Fleet Marine Force, USMCR; and on 1 June 1976 as the 4th Combat Engineer Battalion, 4th Marine Division, Fleet Marine Force, USMCR. The unit participated in numerous training exercises throughout the 1970s and 1980s.

It was called to Active Duty on 22 January 1991 to participate in the Persian Gulf War. It was released from Active Duty on 1 April 1991. The unit participated in numerous training exercises throughout the 1990s.




NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list