1st Battalion, 14th Marine Regiment
The battalion consists of three 155mm towed artillery batteries that are part of the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve. Each battery is comprised of approximately 120 Marines and Sailors who are managing full-time civilian careers while at the same time serving their country as members of the Naval Service. Additionally, each Battery has a small active duty Inspector-Instructor staff who are assigned to the unit for a three-year tour in order to assist in preparing the battery for full mobilization and/or subsequent combat action as required. The Inspector-Instructor Staff is the active duty component of the Battery. They administer the logistics, training, administrative and medical support required to keep this Battery mobilization ready in the event of a crisis.
Activated 1 May 1943 at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, as 1st Battalion, 14th Marines, Fleet Marine Force. Relocated during August 1943 to Camp Pendleton, California, and assigned to the 4th Marine Division. Participated in the Following WW II campaigns: Kwajelein, Saipan, Tinian, Iwo Jima. Redeployed During October 1945 to Camp Pendleton. Deactivated 15 November 1945
Reactivated 1 February 1966 at Treasure Island, San Francisco, California, as Headquarters Battery, 14th Marines and assigned to the 4th Marine Division, Fleet Marine Force, U.S. Marine Corps Reserve. Redesignated 1 February 1967 as Headquarters Battery, 3d Field Artillery Group, Force Troops, Fleet Marine Force. Redesignated 1 September 1979 as Headquarters Battery, 5th Battalion, 14th Marines 4th Marine Division (Rein), Fleet Marine Force, U.s. Marine Corps Reserve. Redesignated 1 October 1985 as 1st Battalion, 14th Marines.
Mobilized during January 1991 in support of Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm and deployed to Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. Demobilized during March 1991 and returned to Treasure Island, California. Relocated during February 1992 to Alameda, California.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|