UNITED24 - Make a charitable donation in support of Ukraine!

Military


457th Airlift Squadron [457th AS]

The 457th Airlift Squadron was constituted as the 457th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) on 1 July 1942 and activated on 6 July 1942 at Salt Lake City AAB, UT. Assigned to the 330th Bombardment Group, the squadron was tasked with conducting replacement training while flying, in 1942, B-17 and, from 1942-1944, the B-24. During that time, the squadron moved to various bases: Alamogordo, NM (1 August 1942); Biggs Field, TX (c. 2 September 1942); Alamogordo, NM (29 November 1942); Biggs Field, TX (5 March 1943-1 April 1944). The squadron converted back to the B-17 for 1944.

The squadron inactivated at Walker AAFld, KS on 1 April 1944. The squadron was redesignated 457th Bombardment Squadron, Very Heavy, and reactivated that same day. Flying the B-29, the 457th was assigned to the 330th Bombardment Group and moved to Dalhart AAFld, TX (25 May 1944) and Walker AAFld, KS (1 August 1944-7 January 1945) before deploying to North Field, Guam (18 February-21 November 1945). The squadron saw combat in the Western Pacific, c. 12 April-14 August 1945. The squadron returned to the United States to Camp Anza, CA (c. 19-27 December 1945) where it inactivated.

Redesignated as the 457th Bombardment Squadron, Medium, on 16 May 1949, the squadron was activated in the Reserve on 27 June 1949, at March AFB, CA, and assigned to the 330th Bombardment Group. Ordered to active service on 1 May 1951, the 457th inactivated on 16 June 1951.

The squadron was redesignated 457th Troop Carrier Squadron, Medium, on 26 May 1952 and activated at Greater Pittsburgh Airport, PA, in the Reserve on 14 June 1952 as part of the 330th Troop Carrier Group. The 457th inactivated on 14 July 1952.

Redesignated 457th Troop Carrier Squadron, the squadron was reactivated, on 12 October 1966, and assigned to Pacific Air Forces.

Organized on 1 January 1967 at Cam Ranh Bay AB, South Vietnam, the unit was reassigned to the 483rd Troop Carrier (later, 483rd Tactical Airlift) Wing. The 457th was later redesignated 457th Tactical Airlift Squadron on 1 August 1967. There, the squadron was tasked with providing intratheater airlift in Vietnam, including airland and airdrop assault missions, using the C-7 aircraft. The 457th inactivated on 30 April 1972.

The squadron was consolidated on 1 December 1991 with the 1402nd Military Airlift Squadron, which was designated, and activated, at Andrews AFB, MD, on 1 April 1975 as a unit of the 89th Military Airlift Wing (later, 89th Military Airlift Group). It was reassigned to the 375th Aeromedical (later, 375th Military) Airlift Wing, on 15 March 1978. Aircraft assigned to the squadron included T (later CT)-39 (1975-1984); VC 131 (1975-1977) and the C-12 (1976-1977). The squadron converted to the C-21 in 1984. The squadron was tasked with conducting pilot readiness training (1975-1984) and administrative airlift(1975-1993).

The squadron supported intratheater airlift in Southwest Asia, from August 1990-April 1991.

The squadron was redesignated as the 457th Airlift Squadron on 1 December 1991, at which point it was assigned to the 375th Operations Group. It was reassigned to the 89th Operations Group on 1 April 1993. The mission of the 457th AS was changed in 1993 to that of providing airlift support for high-ranking dignitaries of the US and foreign governments.

The 457th AS consolidated with three flights -- the 12th Airlift Flight (Langley Air Force Base, VA); the 47th Airlift Flight (Wright-Patterson AFB, OH); and the 54th Airlift Flight (Maxwell AFB, AL) in April 1997.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list



 
Page last modified: 05-07-2011 02:13:36 ZULU