174th Fighter Wing [174th FW]
The 174th FW traces its origins to the 138th Fighter Squadron. On October 28th, 1947, the squadron was federally recognized and integrated within the state of New York's Air National Guard.
In August 1962, federal recognition was given to the unit with the activation of the 174th Tactical Fighter Group.
Along with the conversion to the A-10A "Thunderbolt II" in 1979, the 174th TFG was reorganized as the 174th Tactical Fighter Wing.
The 174th TFW was the first ANG A-10 to deploy to Germany under operation "Coronet Sail" in 1981. It returned there in 1984 as part of operation "Coronet Giant". That same year, the wing also took part in a "Gunsmoke" competition at Nellis AFB, NV. In 1988, the 174th TFG began conversion to the F-16A Close AIr Support; a conversion completed in March 1989. As a result of Operation Desert Shield/Storm, the 174th was called to was called to active duty and deployed to Al Kharj AB, Saudi Arabia with the units' F-16s arriving on January 3 1991. With the war over on February 28, 1991, the 174th was released from active duty on June 1991.
With an internal reoganization in Air Force and ANG command structure, the 174th Tactical Fighter Wing was redesignated as the 174th Fighter Wing in 1993, gaining both personnel and organizational groups as a result of this change.
In June 1995, the unit deployed for 30 days rotation to Incirlik, Turkey as part of Operation Provide Comfort, assisting in the enforcement the No Fly Zone over Northern Iraq.
During 1996-97, the 174th FW deployed to Andoya, Norway as part of the "Adventure Express 97" NATO exercise, and also sent a detachment of 6 F-16s to Incirlik AB, Turkey for Operation Northern Watch.
In 1998, the 174th FW deployed to Tyndall AFB, FL, for the "Combat Archer" exercise and also to the Dugway Proving Ground, Utah to participate in exercise "Global Patriot 98".
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|