138th Fighter Squadron [138th FS]
The 138th Fighter Squadron was activated on August 3rd, 1942 at Hunter Field in Savannah, Georgia as the 484th Bombardment Squadron (Dive Bomber). Redesignated as the 505th Fighter squadron, the squadron was deployed to bases located in England during the duration of WOrld War II.
Deactivaed in October 1945, the squadron was redesignated as the 138th Fighter Squadron and based at Hancock Field, NY, with its primary assigned aircraft being the Republic P-47 "Thunderbolt". The unit later transitionned in 1950 to the F-51D "Mustang" aircraft. The 138th FS helped pioneer the Guard in the runway alert program whereby small number of Guard pilots and aircraft at strategic locations were put on alert in order to augment Air Defense Command's runway alert program.
Redesignated the 138th Fighter Interceptor Squadron, the unit converted to the F-94B "Starfire" in February 1954. Three years later, in December 1957, the suqadron's mission was changed to that of ground attack and assigned the F-86H. The unit was activated as a result of the Berlin Crisis of 1961 and deployed to Phalsbourg, France.
With the North Korean seizure of the USS Pueblo, the 138th was called to active duty and deployed to Cannon AFB, NM.
The squadron transitionned in 1970 to the Cessna A-37B and, in 1979, to the A-10A "Thunderbolt II".
In 1988, the squadron began conversion to the F-16A Close AIr Support; a conversion completed in March 1989.
The 138th TFS played an active part in Operations Desert Shield/Storm. Called to active duty, the unit deployed to Al Kharj AB, Saudi Arabia, located southeast of the Capital Riyadh. There, the 138th TFS was assigned to the 4th Tactical Fighter Wing (Provisional) wich grouped two TAC F-15E squadrons (335th and 336th TFS), a USAFE F-15C squadron (53rd TFS) and another ANG F-16A squadron (157th TFS, SC ANG).
After its return home, the squadron converted in 1993 Block 30 models of the F-16.
In October 1998, the Wing swapped aircraft with the 149th FW of the Texas ANG and received Block-25 F-16s powered by Pratt&Whitney F-100-220 engines.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|