T-AH 19 Mercy
The primary mission of USNS Mercy is to provide rapid, flexible, and mobile acute medical and surgical services to support Marine Corps Air/Ground Task Forces deployed ashore, Army and Air Force units deployed ashore, and naval amphibious task forces and battle forces afloat.
Its secondary mission is to provide mobile surgical hospital service for use by appropriate U.S. Government agencies in disaster or humanitarian relief or limited humanitarian care incident to these missions or peacetime military operations.
These mission statements are accountable to both the Reduced Operating Status (ROS) and Full Operating Status (FOS) military personnel staffed at Naval Medical Center, San Diego until the ship is activated. However, the ROS personnel's immediate and number one priority is to fully activate the ship to a FOS Echelon III Medical Treatment Facility within the prescribed 5-day time frame. In meeting these missions, the ROS personnel perform the following functions:
Serve as the nucleus of the critical core required to execute activations;
- Develop, test, and maintain systems and procedures to support activation process;
- Orient and train FOS augmenting staff; and
- Monitor/assess the medical treatment facility's overall ability to fully activate/perform mission.
If activation is not successful, it will delay and detract from MERCY's ability to fulfill the above mission statements.
The following major departments and facilities are provided on USNS MERCY when activated:
- Casualty reception
- Radiological services
- Main laboratory plus satellite lab
- Central sterile receiving
- Medical supply/pharmacy
- Physical therapy and burn care
- Dental services
- Optometry/lens lab
- Oxygen producing plants (two)
The third MERCY (T-AH 19) was built as an oil tanker, SS WORTH, by National Steel and Shipbuilding Co., San Diego, in 1976. Starting in July 1984, she was renamed and converted to a hospital ship by the same company. Launched on 20 July 1985, USNS MERCY was commissioned 8 November 1986.
On 27 February 1987, MERCY began a training and humanitarian cruise to the Phillippines and the South Pacific. The staff included U.S. Navy, Army, and Air Force active duty and reserve personnel; U.S. Public Health service; medical providers from the Armed Forces of the Philippines; and MSC civilian mariners. Over 62,000 outpatients and almost 1,000 inpatients were treated at seven Philippine and seven South Pacific ports. MERCY returned to Oakland, CA, on 13 July 1987.
On 9 August 1990, MERCY was activated in support of Operation Desert Shield. Departing on 15 August, she arrived in the Arabian Gulf on 15 September. For the next six months, MERCY provided support to the multinational allied forces. She admitted 690 patients and performed almost 300 surgeries. After treating the 21 American and two Italian repatriated prisoners of war, she departed for home on 16 March 1991, arriving in Oakland on 23 April.
USNS MERCY, homeported in San Diego, CA, is currently in reduced operating status with a five day activation.
Hospital ship USNS Mercy (T-AH 19), based in San Diego, set sail on January 5, 2005, for the Indian Ocean area as part of relief efforts following the devastating earthquake and tsunami that had struck the region on December 26, 2004. It was expected that the hospital ship would take about 30 days to reach the Indian Ocean region. The ship's 1,000-bed hospital facility will be initially staffed to support 250 patient beds. The number of patient care beds can be expanded up to 1,000 with additional medical staff, if necessary. Equipment and supplies will be available to treat a wide variety of patients from young children to the elderly.
The first MERCY (AH 4) was built in 1907 as SARATOGA by William Cramp & Sons, Philadelphia, PA. An Army troop transport in the first nine months of World War I, she was renamed MERCY and converted to a hospital ship at New York Navy Yard, Brooklyn, N.Y. She was commissioned on 24 January 1918.
MERCY initially operated in the Chesapeake Bay, homeported in Yorktown, VA. She attended war wounded and transported them from ships to shore hospitals. On 3 November 1918, MERCY departed New York City, making four round trips to France, returning 1,977 casualties by March 1919.
For 15 years following World War I, MERCY served off the East Coast, homeported in Philadelphia. From December 1924 until September 1926, she was in reduced commission. MERCY was loaned to the Philadelphia branch of the Public Relief Administration in March 1934.
The second MERCY (AH 8) was a troop ship built by Consolidated Steel Corp., Wilmington, CA, beginning 4 February 1943. Launched on 25 March 1943, she was sponsored by LT(JG) Doris M. Yetter, NC, USN, a prisoner of war on Guam in 1941. MERCY was converted by Los Angeles Shipbuilding & Drydocking Co., San Pedro, CA. She was commissioned 7 August 1944, staffed by the Army's 214th Station Hospital.
Departing on 31 August, she arrived in the Leyte Gulf, Phillipines, on 25 October during the Battle for Leyte Gulf. Embarking 400 casualties, she transported the wounded to base hospitals in New Guinea. Over the next five months, MERCY made seven more voyages from Leyte to New Guinea, including transporting the Army's 3rd Field Hospital from New Guinea to the Philippines in January 1945.
In March 1945, MERCY reported for service in the Okinawa campaign. She and USS SOLACE (AH 5) arrived on 19 April at Hagushi Beach, Okinawa, embarking patients for four days despite frequent air raids and threat of Japanese Kamikazes. MERCY then transferred the wounded to Saipan, Marianas. She made two more voyages from Saipan to Okinawa the following month.
MERCY next made two voyages carrying wounded from Leyte and Manila to New Guinea. She reported to Manila in June for two months duty as station hospital ship. In August, she transported the Army's 227th Station Hospital to Korea as part of the occupation forces.
In October 1945, MERCY returned to San Pedro, CA. She transferred to the U.S. Army on 20 June 1946 for further service as a hospital ship.
MERCY received two battle stars for World War II service. She was struck from the Navy List on 25 September 1946.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|