SSN 770 Tucson
USS TUCSON (SSN 770) is the second ship of the United States Navy to bear the name of this Arizona city. TUCSON (SSN 770) is the 59th Los Angeles class attack submarine and the 20th of the Improved-Los Angeles class attack submarine to be built. Her construction began on 10 June 1988 and her keel was laid September, 1991. She was christened on 19 March 1994 by Ms. Diane C. Kent, wife of The Honorable Gerald A. Cann, former Assistant Secretary of the Navy for Research, Development and Acquisition.
Able to operate in all ocean areas of the world, TUCSON's stealth, endurance, mobility and responsiveness make her a formidable force in multiple mission roles.
USS Tucson departed for a Western Pacific deployment from its homeport of Pearl Harbor May 19, 2004.
The first TUCSON was a light cruiser, designated CL-98, built by Bethlehem Steel Co., in San Francisco and commissioned on February 3, 1945. Following shakedown and training cruises, TUCSON was assigned to screening duty for Fast Carrier Task Force, TF-38. TUCSON joined the fast carriers in mid 1945 in time to participate in their final assault on the Japanese Empire and its inner defenses. Following the surrender of Japan on September 2, 1945, TUCSON remained in the Far East and helped support occupation forces moving into Japan. For the next four years, TUCSON performed various gunnery and antiaircraft training missions for the Pacific Fleet. On June 11, 1949 TUCSON was decommissioned and berthed with the San Francisco Group of the Pacific Fleet Reserve. For her service during the waning years of World War II, TUCSON earned one battle star.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|