SSN 767 Hampton
The contract to build SSN 764 was awarded on 02/06/1987 and her keel was laid on 03/02/1990. She was launched on 04/03/1992 and she was commissioned on 11/16/1993. Hampton is the 54th Los Angles class submarine to be commissioned into the U.S. fleet.
Hampton is named in honor of the cities in Virginia, South Carolina, Iowa and New Hampshire, and is the fourth ship to carry this name. The first was a tug. The second was a subchaser (PCS 1368) named after the town in South Carolina. The third was an amphibious transport (APA 115), named after the county in South Carolina. All three ships served in World War II.
The ship's emblem signifies the great heritage underlying the modern day USS HAMPTON (SSN 767). In our nation's history, four military vessels carried the name HAMPTON. The CSS HAMPTON, a Confederate Gunboat, was the first vessel named HAMPTON. Other vessels include the SP-3049, a 48-ton tugboat, PCS- 1386, an anti-submarine warfare training vessel, and APA 115, an amphibious transport ship.
The crest's four stars represent the four namesake cities: Hampton, Virginia; Hampton, Iowa; Hampton, South Carolina; and Hampton, New Hampshire. They also represent the four previous vessels named HAMPTON. The warship in the foreground is the CSS HAMPTON, which patrolled the James River and approaches to Norfolk, Virginia, during the Civil War. CSS HAMPTON distinguished herself in battle during the Civil War, surviving an engagement with Union Ironclads in the Hampton Roads' waters. She was eventually burned by the Confederacy to prevent the ship from falling into Union hands. The predominant colors of the crest are traditional Navy blue and gold.
The motto, "QUI DESIDERANT PACEM PREPARATE BELLUM" means "Those who desire peace, prepare for war". The motto is founded in the determination and spirit displayed by the earlier HAMPTONs and underscores the premium the submarine force places on the training and readiness of its ships. With its diverse arsenal, unlimited endurance and ability to participate in every facet of Naval Warfare, the submarine HAMPTON will proudly carry on the heritage of her naval predecessors, ready and able to go to war when her country calls.
City of Hampton
Of the 18 cities in the United States named Hampton, four were chosen as namesake cities, Hampton, Virginia; Hampton, New Hampshire; Hampton, Iowa; and Hampton, South Carolina.
Hampton, Virginia, is the oldest and largest of the Hamptons. In 1607 English settlers founded the first permanent English-speaking settlement in America. Trade boomed, and to manage the heavy ship traffic, the settlers developed a port called Southampton, after Lord Southampton of England. Over the years, the prefix was dropped and the port city was called Hampton.
Hampton has continued to play an important role in American history. The city was pillaged during the Revolutionary War, attacked during the War of 1812, and burned during the Civil War.
Today Hampton is home to the Army's Fort Monroe, built in 1819 as the largest stone fort in the United States, Langley Air Force Base, and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) Langley Research Center. In addition, a wide range of businesses can be found in Hampton. Located on the north shore of Hampton Roads, a famous deep water harbor, the city is known as a seafood center with an abundance of fish, crabs and oysters.
Hampton, New Hampshire was founded in 1638 as a religious community. Today Hampton has several reminders of its early days. The original First Congregational Church Society continues its preaching of the Gospel, making it the oldest continuous church body in the state and one of the oldest in the country. It now meets in its sixth meetinghouse, built in 1843. Other historic sites include Tuck-Leavitt grist mill, considered one of the oldest industries of its kind in the country, and Bound Rock (1657), one of the earliest boundary markers in the United States.
Hampton is best known as a seaside town, drawing tourists to its beaches each summer. While tourism is the chief industry, several small manufacturing and corporate headquarters are located in the town.
Hampton, Iowa was founded by settlers pouring westward to purchase rich prairie land at $1.25 an acre. The town's founders originally proposed the name Benjamin Franklin County in honor of the famous statesman, inventor, and diplomat. But a judge objected to the name, and ordered the town be called Hampton, after the well known Hampton Roads, Virginia.
Today the rich prairie soil continues to be important to Hampton as many farms prosper in the area, as well as many small manufacturing plants.
Hampton, South Carolina, was named after South Carolina Governor Wade Hampton III, a famous Confederate general. Created by the legislature in 1879. Hampton became the seat of Hampton County, South Carolina. Today the regions economy has strong ties with the forest industry and with agricultural crops. Small industry, ranging from fiberglass and shoe manufacturing to fertilizers and steel fabrication, contribute to the local economy. Hampton holds the distinction of being the "Watermelon capital of the World" attracting thousands to the annual Watermelon Festival.
Though different, a common thread ties these four communities together. Each was founded by individuals in pursuit of the American dream, a better life for themselves and their families.
Built at Norfolk Navy Yard in 1862, CSS HAMPTON was the first American vessel to bear the name. A wooden gunboat serving the Confederate cause, HAMPTON participated in significant actions along the James River, including the battle of Dutch Gap operations against Fort Harrison, and the engagement at Chaffin's Bluff. The vessel was burned by the Confederates as they evacuated Richmond on April 3, 1865.
The second HAMPTON (SP-3049) was a 48-ton tugboat built in 1905 and chartered by the Navy in 1918. Commissioned April 21, 1918, this 63-foot harbor tug oversaw free trade and safe traffic in the world's largest natural harbor, Hampton Roads. It served on general harbor duty under the 5th Naval District until being returned to the original owner in 1919.
The next vessel to bear the name, PCS-1386 (later designated HAMPTON) was commissioned November 4, 1944. PCS-1386 trained officers and enlisted men in the intricate art of submarine detection until the end of World War II. After the war, PCS-1386 continued training operations based at Key West, Florida, as well as performing exercises in the Atlantic, Caribbean, and Gulf of Mexico from 1946 to 1956. PCS-1386 was named HAMPTON February 5, 1956 and decommissioned April 27, 1956. HAMPTON transferred to the 5th Naval District and was assigned to the Naval Reserve Training Center, Baltimore, Maryland. It operated as a training ship until struck from the Navy list on July 1, 1959 and sold.
The fourth HAMPTON (APA-lis), an amphibious ship, was commissioned February 17, 1945. After shakedown training, HAMPTON operated out of Newport, Rhode Island, as a training ship for precommissioning crews until May 1945. HAMPTON then embarked troops destined for Hawaii and the Pacific theater. After delivering 1000 Seabees to Guam, HAMPTON returned to San Francisco. She then joined the fleet carrying troops to port cities in Korea and China, followed by two voyages from Guam to San Francisco, performing the giant task of bringing home the thousands of Pacific veterans. The ship arrived in Norfolk in March of 1946 and was decommissioned April 30, 1946.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|