SSN 753 Albany
The contract to build SSN 753 was awarded on 29 Nov 1983 and her keel was laid on 22 April 1985. She was launched on 13 June 1987 and she was commissioned on 07 April 1990.
City of Albany
Albany is a city of surprising charm and sharp contrasts. It is small (population 115,000), but its role as state capital, the seat of government of the populous Empire State, gives it a cosmopolitan flavor possessed by no other community of its size.
It is a bustling city, with new construction changing its skyline dramatically, and more to come. Yet its people remain conscious of its heritage of history that goes back to 1609 and a fur trading post called Fort Orange. The oldest continuous settlement of the thirteen colonies, Albany is 167 years older than the United States.
Part of the city's appeal lies in its diversity. It is not stereotyped or predictable. Within a few moments walk of the impressive steel and glass and marble skyscrapers of the Empire State Plaza are numerous charming anachronisms - churches or public buildings or private mansions designed by the nation's finest architects of the 18th and 19th centuries. And in the busiest parts of downtown, unexpectedly, trees and open spaces and parks delight the eye, refresh the spirit. Albany is literally a city-in-the-country, a small jewel set down in the beautiful Hudson River valley, bordered on the sides by open fields and farms and woodlands and mountains only a few minutes from the heart of downtown.
The First Albany
The first Albany, launched in June 1846 at the New York Navy Yard, was a first-class sloop-of-war. Her initial mission was to join the Home Squadron by sailing from New York to the Mexican coast in November 1846. Several months later, the sloop participated in landings at Veracruz, Mexico, and transported landing forces in expeditions against Tuxpan and Tabasco. Albany remained in the West Indies for the majority of her career. In September 1854, she sailed from Aspinwall, Panama, enroute to New York, but never reached her destination. Her fate unknown.
The Second Albany
In May 1869, the screw sloop-of-war Contoocook was renamed Albany, making it the second ship to bear the name. The ship, launched at Portsmouth Navy Yard in 1864, also patrolled extensively in the West Indies as the flagship of the North Atlantic Squadron. Although the ship was placed out of commission in January 1870, she served as quarantine ship in New York until sold in December 1872.
The Third Albany
The third Albany was originally called Almirante Abrew, but was purchased from Brazil in 1898 and renamed while still on the shipways at Armstrong, Mitchell and Co., Ltd., in Newcastle-on-the-Tyne, England. A protected cruiser, she was launched in 1899 and commissioned the following year as CL 23. The ship had three lives. She served with the Asiatic Squadron and in the Mediterranean Sea from 1900-1904. Recommissioned in 1907, she served in the Pacific Fleet until once again being placed in reserve in 1914. In 1916 she was recommissioned and served in the Pacific and Atlantic Fleet before finally decommissioned in October 1922 and sold eight years later.
CA 123 / CG 10
The fourth Albany, also a cruiser, was launched at Bethlehem Steel Co. in Quincy, Massachusetts in June 1943 and commissioned three years later as CA 123. In its early years, the ship made a number of voyages training Naval reservists and NROTC midshipman. Albany (CA 123) embarked on her first tour of duty with the American Naval forces operating in the Mediterranean Sea in September 1948, setting the tone for the ship's next decade. Interspersed with five assignments to the 6th Fleet, Albany (CA 123) made three cruises t South American ports. In June 1958, Albany (CA 123) headed to Boston Naval Shipyard to begin conversion to a guided missile cruiser. Redesignated CG 10, the warship spent the next four years at Boston undergoing extensive modifications. Albany was recommissioned in November 1962 and spent her next five years in familiar waters alternating between deployments to the Mediterranean and North Atlantic and operations along the coast and in the West Indies. Albany returned to Boston Naval Shipyard in March 1967 to again undergo extensive modifications. By the summer of 1969, Albany was off to her new homeport, Mayport, Florida, and in October, the ship rejoined normal operations with the Atlantic Fleet. The guided missile cruiser entered the last phase of her long life in August 1976 when she embarked on an extensive tour of duty in the Mediterranean Sea as flagship of Commander 6th Fleet. Relieved of that duty in May 1980, Albany returned to the United States. On August 29, 1980, Albany was decommissioned at Norfolk and was berthed with the Norfolk Group, Atlantic Reserved Fleet, where she remains today.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|