MHC 57 Cormorant
"The One to Follow"
Built by Avondale Shipyards, Gulfport, MS, the Coastal Mine Hunter, USS Cormorant (MHC 57), was christened on October 21, 1995, at Avondale Shipyards, Avondale (Greater New Orleans), Louisiana. It was commissioned during a ceremony held on April 12, 1997, at Harbor Island, Tampa, Fla.
Cormorant is the seventh of 12 Osprey class ships authorized to be built by Congress.
Ships of this class are the world's largest mine hunters to be constructed entirely of fiberglass.
Ship's Shield and Crest
The ship's shield is dark blue and gold which are the colors traditionally used by the Navy and reflect the sea and excellence. The mission of minehunting is symbolized by the horned contact mine and the tridents represent the two previous ships to bear the name Cormorant. World War II battle service of the first Cormorant included participation in the 1944 invasion of Normandy, France. The anchor refers to the allied fleet waiting to cross the English Channel and the Star recalls the battle star received for World War II service. The light and dark blue waves denote Cormorant's capabilities to operate in coastal and deep waters. The red bordure represents containment of the threat of mines and underwater hazards to shipping. Red is the color of courage, valor, zeal, and sacrifice.
On the ship's crest, the cormorant, namesake of the ship and known for extraordinary skill in pursuit of it's quarry even at great depths, emphasizes the significant hunting capabilities of Cormorant. It's stance and attitude denote alertness and readiness.
The ship's motto is "THE ONE TO FOLLOW" expresses the spirit and determination of each crewmember to do thier utmost in carrying out Cormorant's primary mission to keep safe the oceans of the world. The Crewmembers of Cormorant commited to clearing paths so others can "FOLLOW" us to safe waters.
Two previous ships have been named Cormorant. The first, a minesweeper (AM 40 and later ATO 133), served from 1919-1946, participated in the sweeping of the North Sea mine barrage and earned one battle star for World War II service. The second -- (AMS 122) also a minesweeper -- served from 1953 to 1970.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|