LPD 10 Juneau
USS JUNEAU (LPD-10) is as major component of the amphibious assault forces of the United States. These amphibious assault forces make up the Navy-Marine Corps sea-land-air team that is one of our nation's most valuable instruments of national policy. Few other forces in our Department of Defense Provide the President with such a wide choice of capabilities for defending our National Interests; wherever threatened.
The cutting edge of the amphibious assault forces is the embarked Marines--troops ready for instant action, prepared for any conflict. These Marines are maintained in our deployed ships and can be inserted at precisely the right moment by highly capable amphibious assault ships such as JUNEAU. To carry out this mission JUNEAU cannot be simply a transport to carry Marines but is also an assault ship.
The third JUNEAU (LPD-10), like its two predecessors, has distinguished itself in many ways through the men who have sailed it and the work they have accomplished.
Its keel was laid on January 23, 1965 by Lockheed Shipbuilding and Construction Company of Seattle. Washington. JUNEAU was launched on February l 2, 1966 and was commissioned in Bremerton, Washington on July 12, 1969.
Throughout the 1970's, JUNEAU established itself as the front runner in the amphibious warfare arena. JUNEAU's dedicated and hard working crew was responsible for the successful completion of five western pacific deployments, which included eight separate trips into Vietnamese waters. In recognition of its superlative service, JUNEAU was awarded five battle stars for its efforts in support of U.S. military operations in Southeast Asia. Other highlights of the 1970's include the first AV-8B Harrier landing on a Pacific Fleet LPD in February 1976.
The 1980's were a busy decade with JUNEAU completing seven deployments during this period, once again demonstrating its versatility in conducting amphibious operations. 1989 proved to be one of the most eventful years in JUNEAU's history as it completed several operations.
In April of 1989, JUNEAU received emergent tasking to Prince William Sound in support of the Exxon Valdez/ Alaskan Oil Spill Operations. Being the first naval vessel on station and acting as command and control ship for Joint Task Force Alaska, JUNEAU provided berthing, communications, transportation (both-surface and air), food, medical and laundry services for over four hundred civilian cleanup workers. As a result of the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait, JUNEAU sailed with 12 other ships of Amphibious Group Three in December 1990 to participate in Operation Desert Storm. Joining with ships from Amphibious Group Two, JUNEAU was a member of the largest amphibious task force since the United Nations assault on Inchon, South Korea.
On February 24, 1991, JUNEAU landed its embarked troops at Ras Al Mishab, Saudi Arabia, in support of U.S. Marines assigned to storm Iraqi positions in southern Kuwait.
JUNEAU performed its mission flawlessly, off-loading its equipment and ammunition in record time. In May 1991, JUNEAU was tasked to proceed to the cyclone ravaged nation of Bangladesh in order to assist in the providing of disaster relief. JUNEAU assisted in supplying over 2.000 tons of relief material during Operation Sea Angel.
Recently, on its 14th deployment, JUNEAU was diverted to the waters off the West African nation of Somalia in support of Operation Restore Hope. Once again, JUNEAU launched its embarked Marines, but this time the mission was one of mercy; the Marines ensured the security for shipment of vitally needed food supplies to the starving people of Somalia.
As JUNEAU continues into its third decade of service, JUNEAU stands fully ready to continue to support and defend the goals, objectives and national interests of the United States.
Centered in the coat of arms is the Sitka spruce, state tree of Alaska, whose capital city has given USS JUNEAU its name, white in background are the jagged peaks and snowy crest which surround Juneau, Alaska.
Emblazoned at the top of the shield are two predominant stars--Naval line insignia--honoring the two former warships which bore the name JUNEAU, and emphasizing the strong ties of those traditions with them.
The alligators, serving as supporters of the coat of arms, are traditional emblems of the U.S. Navy's amphibious forces, most commonly referred to as " the Gator Navy ". Their position indicates the juncture of land and sea which the JUNEAU's capabilities represent.
And finally, the insignia is surrounded by a length of line, heraldic symbol for a Naval Command, unbroken to represent the unity which characterizes the officers and crew of USS JUNEAU (LPD- 10).
The first ship to bear the name was USS JUNEAU (CL 52), christened in February of 1942 by Mrs Harri Lucas, wife of the mayor of Juneau, Alaska. She was the first warship to be painted in camouflage colors. With 16 five inch guns, 8 torpedo tubes, depth charges and machine guns, the ship was described as a "Super Destroyer".
Immediately after commissioning, JUNEAU sailed the Atlantic and Caribbean Oceans, protecting convoys from German and Viche French attacks. In August, she was ordered to the Pacific to support Admiral "Bull" Halsey's efforts in protecting Guadalcanal. While operating near the Santa Cruz Islands in October 1942, JUNEAU saw her first major battle as bombers and torpedo planes attacked the carriers ENTERPRISE and HORNET. The JUNEAU put up a continuous barrage of anti-aircraft fire, destroying enemy plane after enemy plane. JUNEAU's heroic efforts during the Battle of Santa Cruz earned her the nickname "Mighty J".
While operating in the vicinity of Guadalcanal in November of 1942, a torpedo struck JUNEAU's forward engine room, instantly killing 17 people. Badly damaged, the ship headed toward the safety of the Sealark Channel when it was struck again. The ship sank in only 20 seconds, taking her captain and 550 crewmen down with her. Initially there were 150 survivors, but by the time rescuers came seven days later only 10 men were alive. Lost were JUNEAU's captain, the five Sullivan brothers, four Roger brothers, and the three Combs brothers.
The second JUNEAU (CL-119) was commissioned 15 February 1946, Captain Rufus E. Rose in command, and spent her first year of commissioned service in operations along the Atlantic seaboard and Caribbean. The ship departed New York in April 1947, and joined the 6th Fleet where she aided in stabilizing the unresolved question of territorial ownership between Italy and Yugoslavia.
After being reclassified as CLAA-119 in March 1949, JUNEAU departed Norfolk for the Pacific. She arrived in Bremerton, Washington in January 1950 and took part in operations along the Pacific coast. On 22 April 1950, she became flagship for Rear Admiral J. M. Higgins, Commander, Cruiser Division 5, and reported for duty in Yokosuka, Japan, where she began surveillance patrols in the Tsushima Straits.
When the Korean War broke out on June 25, 1950, JUNEAU was one of the few ships immediately available to Vice Admiral C. Turner Joy, Commander Naval Forces, Far East. She patrolled south of the 38th parallel to prevent enemy landings and conducted the first shore bombardments at Bokuko Ko, and engaged in her first naval action when she sank three enemy torpedo boats near Chumonchin Chan. On 18 July, JUNEAU laid down a deadly barrage on enemy troop concentrations near Yongdok, which slowed down the North Korean advance southward.
The ship departed Sasebo Harbor July 28, 1950 and made a sweep through the Formosa Straits before reporting for duty with the 7th Fleet at Buckner Bay, Okinawa, 2 August. She became flagship of the Formosa Patrol Force 4 August, remaining until she joined the Fast Carrier Task Force operating off the east coast of Korea. The ship conducted daily plane guard for the attack carriers, and returned to Long Beach 1 May 1951 for overhaul and a period of operations off the Pacific coast. She returned to Yokosuka in April 1952 and conducted strikes along the Korean coast in coordination with carrier planes until returning to Long Beach later that year.
JUNEAU engaged in training maneuvers and operations until 7 April 1953 when she arrived in Norfolk to rejoin the Atlantic Fleet. In May, the cruiser departed for duty with the 6th Fleet once again, and returned home in October. She operated in the Atlantic and Caribbean until 18 November 1954, then returned to the Mediterranean for her last tour of duty. After her return to the East Coast 23 February 1955, she was placed in reserve at Philadelphia 23 March 1956, and remained inactive until decommissioned 23 July 1956.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|