AOE 2 Camden
The fast combat support ship USS Camden (AOE 2) was decommissioned Sept. 29, 2005, at Pier Delta at Naval Base Kitsap, ending 38 years of naval service.
The primary mission of USS CAMDEN was to provide combatant battle groups with high-speed, multiple commodity logistic support. This replenishment ship combined three support requirements: large fuel and ammunition reserves as well as wide assortments of stores. CAMDEN's versatile support allows combat ships to remain at sea with virtually unlimited endurance. The ship and crew had to always be prepared to conduct prompt and sustained underway replenishment operations, execute contingency operations on short notice, help deter aggression by any power against the United States or its Allies, and participate in international diplomacy in a significant way.
USS CAMDEN was the second ship of the United States to bear the name CAMDEN. It was named after the New Jersey city that lies on the Delaware River across from Philadelphia.
USS CAMDEN (AOE 2) was commissioned 1 April 1967 as the second of four fast combat support ships. Assigned to the Pacific Fleet in September 1967, it was homeported in Long Beach, California. On 7 February 1974, CAMDEN moved to its new homeport of Bremerton, Washington. The ship operates extensively up and down the West Coast of the United States and deploys frequently to the Western Pacific and Indian Oceans to support units of the SEVENTH Fleet. In March 1996, CAMDEN was awarded its third consecutive Battle "E" for demonstrating excellence in all warfare and mission categories.
Ship Shield and Crest
The insignia of USS CAMDEN (AOE-2) is derived from the city seal of Camden, New Jersey, the city where the ship was built and for which she is named. The Coat of arms is a facsimile of the shield of the city seal of Camden, New Jersey.
The right half contains a sailing ship, representing the city as a port of entry and its shipbuilding industries.
The left half is a replica from the Coat of Arms of Lord Camden, after whom the city was named.
The crossed sword and anchor in the background represent her crew, both officers and men.
The border surrounding the emblem emphasizes the unity required for CAMDEN to function as an effective unit of the fleet.
The motto, "Flexibility, Readiness, Endurance", embodies the three characteristics the ship and her crew must possess to meet the logistic support challenge the ship is designed to fulfill.
The First Camden
The first ship to bear the name CAMDEN was built in 1900 in Germany as the KIEL. The vessel was seized by the United States on entrance into World War I. First outfitted as a cargo ship and commissioned in August 1917, CAMDEN transported coal between Wales and French ports. In May 1918, the ship returned to the United States for conversion to a submarine tender and eventual decommissioning in May 1931. CAMDEN was recalled in 1940 for duty as a barracks ship in the New York Navy Yard during World War II.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|