Ukraine Snake Island Flag - Buy it Here!

Military


Fourth Army Corps

The Fourth Corps was organized June 20th, 1918 and was commanded by Major General J. T. Dickman and Major General Charles H. Muir. At the time of the Argonne-Meuse offensive, September 26th, 1918, the corps was composed of the 2nd, 5th, 42nd, 78th, 89th and 90th Divisions. Twenty-five divisions were used in the corps' operations at different times.

The insignia of the Fourth Corps is a circle divided into four segments by diameters crossed at an angle of 90 degrees, the up and down opposed angles being in white, the opposed angles at the sides being in blue.

The Fourth Corps at St. Mihiel consisted of the First, Forty-second, and Eightyninth Divisions, with the Third in reserve. It was the left wing of the attack from the east side of the salient. The Eighty-ninth was next to the First Corps, on the right, while the First was the left flank of the movement, making contact with the attack from the west side the second day. During the Meuse-Argonne drive the Fourth Corps held the St. Mihiel sector, but with different divisions. In the reorganization after the armistice the Fourth Corps consisted of the First, Third, and Fourth Divisions and was stationed in the occupied German territory.

For the reduction of the Marne salient, after four hours of Artillery preparation the Infantry advanced at 5 o'clock on the morning of September 12, 1918. The 1st, 42d, and 89th Divisions took Mont Sec, Monsard, and Lamarche on the first day of the attack. On the following day they had taken St. Benoit and had formed a junction with elements of the Fifth Corps. Their advance was continued until September 18, when the front was established west and south of Etang de Lachaussee. The work of the divisional Engineers, the 1st, 117th, and 314th Engineers, in the demolition of enemy defenses, the organization of positions, assistance of tanks, and construction and maintenance of roads was similar to that of the divisional Engineers of the First Corps. However, the advance of the Fourth Corps, having included an area threaded by the Rupt de Mad and its numerous branches, the divisional Engineers were required to build many more footbridges and to replace them later by timber structures for heavy traffic.

Normally a corps was supposed to consist of four divisions, but this was by no means always followed. Neither was any corps constant in the divisions assigned to it. One would be withdrawn and another substituted, according to the exigencies of the occasion. So it is impossible to give the composition of the corps which will be correct for all dates.

The organization of the fourth and fifth corps was announced on July 27 as follows:
  • Eighty-third (National Army) Division, commanded by Major Gen. E. F. Glenn.
  • Eighty-ninth (National Army) Division, commanded by Brig. Gen. F. L. Winn.
  • Thirty-seventh (National Guard) Division, commanded by Major Gen. Charles S. Farnsworth.
  • Twenty-ninth (National Guard) Division, commanded by Major Gen. C. G. Morton.
  • Ninetieth (National Army) Division, commanded by Major Gen. Henry T. Allen.
  • Ninety-second (National Army) Division, commanded by Major Gen. Charles C. Ballou.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list



 
Page last modified: 05-07-2011 01:36:08 ZULU