Combined Arms Support Command (CASCOM)
US Army Combined Arms Support Command (CASCOM) provides the Army with combat developments, training developments, and institutional training; participate in the force structuring process; determine materiel requirements and influence the development, acquisition, and fielding processes for combat service support functions.
CASCOM oversees the Quartermaster Center and School as well as several other Major Army Commands. The Director of the Combat Developments Directorate for Quartermaster is responsible for developing supply and service concepts, organizations, and materiel that can effectively support the Force XXI Army.
Specific responsibilities of the Director of the Combat Developments Directorate for Quartermaster include, but are not limited to serving as user representative in development of futuristic operational concepts, operational requirements documents, and organizations for the functional areas of supply, aerial delivery, mortuary affairs, laundry and shower, clothing, subsistence, field sanitation, water, and petroleum distribution. Functions also include conducting proponent Functional Area Assessments to determine the overall state of the Quartermaster Corps, and participating in the Total Army Analysis process to determine the Quartermaster Force Structure requirements needed to execute the Defense Planning Guidance.
The Ordnance Training Division supports Ordnance Corps soldiers, by developing products (ARTEPs, Critical Task Lists, Soldier Training Publications, Programs of Instruction, Training Support Packages, Training Circulars, and Army Correspondence Course Program subcourses), to train soldiers to perform optimum electronic maintenance, ground maintenance, explosive ordnance disposal, missile and munitions maintenance support.
The Directorate of Combat Developments for Transportation provides the Army with all combat development and doctrine support for the Transportation Corps (TC), focusing on the Transportation vision, concepts, doctrine, organizations, materiel, and soldier issues impacting on the Transportation Corps and its support of the United States Army. In addition, the Directorate reviews, coordinates, and incorporates all Transportation related requirements, initiatives, and doctrine into integrated combat service support (CSS) products for the Force Projection Army.
The Commanding General, U.S. Army Soldier Support Institute develops concepts, doctrine, organizations and systems to ensure the Personnel Service Support Community aggressively supports the Army in the 21st Century. He also develops Leader Development programs designed to produce the confident, competent, and professional leaders the Personnel Service Support community will need to support the warfighter in the future. The Commanding General, SSI conducts current, vigorous, and realistic training producing tactically and technically proficient soldiers, officers and civilians for the Army. Specific responsibilities of the Commanding General, SSI include, but are not limited to: commanding and supervising two branch Commandants (Adjutant General and Finance Branches); five Army schools: Adjutant General, Finance, Recruiting and Retention, a CSS Noncommissioned Officer Academy, and the US Army Element, School of Music; and one joint school, the Joint Postal School.
The present U.S. Army Combined Arms Support Command and Fort Lee (USACASCOM&FL) organization resulted from an evolutionary process which began in 1950 with the Project VISTA Study. One of the study recommendations was to establish a separate and independent command to formulate and test new concepts. On 13 June 1952, a Combat Development Group was established at HQ, Office, Chief of Army Field Forces with the mission of evaluating the effects of scientific developments upon the Army doctrine, and development requirements for new weapons. Established at the same time were combat developments departments in the Combat Arms Schools and at the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College.
After two years of operation, the combat development system underwent a series of realignments and refinements. Due to the emphasis placed on evaluating the influence of missiles and nuclear weapons, the developmental effort shifted to conducting studies in the mid-range time period, 4 to 7 years in the future at the expense of the longer time periods.
In 1954, the Secretary of the Army appointed a committee headed by Dr. L. J. Haworth, Director of the Brookhaven National Laboratory, to determine the effectiveness of the group and to recommend ways it might be improved. The Haworth Report recommended that personnel and money allotted to the combat developments program be substantially increased and that bold and imaginative thinking be encouraged. It also included a plan for increased field experimentation to test new study concepts. One of the most important recommendations was that technical service personnel at the working level be included in the combat developments effort. As a result, in 1955, the Department of the Army directed the technical and administrative service chiefs to designate agencies to perform combat developments studies. Thus, the Haworth Report made a substantial contribution to the upgrading of the combat developments effort in the Army.
In 1959, the Secretary of the Army designated the CG, United States Continental Army Command (CONARC), to act as his Executive Secretary in this area and charged him with the responsibility for preparing combat developments guidance for the Army. By this time, the combat developments system was accepted as a group of associated agencies whose activities were oriented toward the future of the U.S. Army in the broad areas of new doctrine, organizations, and materiel.
As a result of this maze of control, agencies at the Chief of Staff level and above, each with traditional vested interests, had full responsibility for integrating doctrine with hardware. Relationships among the elements responsible for various phases of the system were complex, time-consuming, and duplicative. The process was so segmented and involved in so many echelons that it was virtually impossible to manage and develop a complex weapons system. These and other factors led the Hoelscher Committee to make as one of its four key proposals, the establishment of a U.S. Army Combat Developments Command (CDC) to perform the combat developments function assigned to CONARC, the technical and administrative services, and other agencies.
After the activation of CDC on 29 June 1962, the Combat Service Support Group (CSSG) was subsequently activated at Fort Lee on 1 July 1962, along with nine agencies (Chaplain, Civil Affairs, Transportation, Quartermaster, Adjutant General, Medical, Ordnance, Military Police, and Finance) located throughout CONUS with the mission of developing combat service support concepts and doctrine in the areas of logistics and administration.
In 1965, CSSG assumed the responsibility for developing all the support elements for the Army in the field. A year later, as part of a CDC reorganization, the Finance and Adjutant General Agencies were combined to form the Personnel and Administrative Services Agency, while the Quartermaster and Ordnance Agencies were redesignated the Supply and Maintenance Agencies, respectively. In 1967, CSSG began operating under a new concept of "mid-management" versus internal control. Through a series of realignments and adjustments, the loss of the Civil Affairs Agency in 1967 to the Combined Arms Group (CAG) and the Military Police Agency to the Combat Support Group (CSG) in 1969, CSSG maintained the following agencies after 1969: Chaplain Agency (CHA), Judge Advocate Agency (JAA), Maintenance Agency (MA), Medical Services Agency (MSA), Transportation Agency (TA), Personnel and Administrative Services Agency (PASA), and Supply Agency (SUA). In April 1971, CSSG was renamed the Personnel and Logistics Systems (PALS) Group to better define the missions and functions of the organization.
In April 1972, the Secretary of the Army designated MG James G. Kalergis as the Project Manager of Reorganization (PMR) at HQDA. The objectives of this reorganization were four-fold: Improve active and reserve force readiness; increase effectiveness of schools and training; improve methods of developing equipment and forces; streamline management and reduce overhead. The DA reorganization plan, approved in January 1973, phased out CDC and CONARC and established the Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC) with the United States Army Logistics Center, the successor organization to the PALS Group. The establishment of the Logistics Center, effective 1 July 1973, marked the first time that the responsibilities for developing, testing, integrating, and disseminating logistic doctrine and systems rested in one organization.
In 1983 the commanding general's position was upgraded to three-star status. In 1989 the CG of the LOGC also became the Commander of Fort Lee without giving up any previous duties.
The Combined Arms Support Command (CASCOM) succeeded the Logistics Center in October 1990. It evolved as a major subordinate command under TRADOC in conjunction with the TRADOC reorganization which was directed by the TRADOC commander in April 1990. CASCOM's mission resulted from merging all combat development (CD) and training development (TD) integrating functions previously performed by the Logistics Center and the Soldier Support Center (SSC) at Fort Benjamin Harrison, Indiana. This action resulted in the dissolution of SSC as an integrating center. Certain functions of the Personnel Integrating Center (PIC) were consolidated under CASCOM, including manpower and personnel integration (MANPRINT) methodologies, Materiel Development, MANPRINT training and the Personnel Proponent System.
In early 1994, as a result of declining resources, CASCOM proposed to reorganize by consolidating most combat service support functions at Fort Lee. Specifically, the combat developments, training developments, proponency offices, evaluation and standardization, and selected school overhead and support functions were considered for centralization at CASCOM headquarters. On 26 January 1994, the Secretary of the Army approved the requested reorganization, to be effective 1 October 1994. A subsequent relook in FY 96 and effective October 1996 resulted in a realignment that gave clearer focus to the combat developments mission.
In its 2005 BRAC Recommendations, DoD recommended to consolidate the Transportation Center and School from Fort Eustis and the Ordnance Center and School from Aberdeen Proving Ground with the Quartermaster Center & School, the Army Logistic Management College, and Combined Arms Support Command, to establish a Combat Service Support Center at Fort Lee, VA. This recommendation would consolidate Combat Service Support (CSS) training and doctrine development at a single installation, which would promote training effectiveness and functional efficiencies. The moves would advance the Maneuver Support Center (MANSCEN) model, currently in place at Fort Leonard Wood, MO, which would consolidate the Military Police, Engineer, and Chemical Centers and Schools. This recommendation would improve the MANSCEN concept by consolidating functionally related Branch Centers & Schools.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|