92nd Engineer Battalion (Heavy)
The 92nd Engineer Battalion unit's capabilities include sanitary sewer construction, road and highway construction, base camp construction, airfield construction, electrical and plumbing installation. The unit's workmanship can be seen locally to its base at Fort Stewart where they performed the preparation and drainage for Gulick Avenue (Georgia Highway 119), preparation and clearance of Airport Road (also known at the Fort Stewart 15th Street extension), building of new arrival barracks behind the current Soldier Support Center, the Military Operations in Urban Terrain (MOUT) site for the Bosnia and Kosovo pre-deployment training and many other projects. The 92nd Engineers have also performed their mission during deployments to Haiti and Honduras where they did bridge and road construction and repair projects.
The 92nd Engineer Battalion has a long and distinguished combat record. It was first constituted on 1 October 1933 in the Regular Army as the 51st Engineer Battalion. This unit was redesignated on 1 January 1938 as the 92d Engineer Battalion and activated on 1 May 1941 at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 22 May 1942 as the 92nd Engineer Regiment. It was again redesignated on 1 August 1942 as the 92nd Engineer General Service Regiment.
In 1942, the 92nd Engineers deployed to Italy earning 4 campaign streamers during World War II: Naples-Foggia, for reconditioning the port; Rome-Arno, for dismantling tactical brigdes, keeping roads passable for supply movements, and building 8 fixed bridges; North Apennines, for repairing a 400 foot crater in a supply road that German demolitions had cut; and Po Valley for maintaining a railhead for supply routes to the Po River. The 4 points of the black diamond on the unit crest represent these campaigns. During this campaign the regiment became known as the "Can Do Regiment."
After WWII, the Regiment was inactivated in Italy on 20 April 1946 and sent to Fort Bragg, North Carolina where unit's HSC, A, B, and C companies were redesignated the 92nd Engineer Battalion on 25 February 1954. The rest of the Regiment was disbanded. The unit was activated on 9 February 1955 at Fort Bragg, North Carolina.
The 92nd Engineer Battalion deployed in May 1967 to Vietnam. During the Vietnam Conflict the "Can Do Regiment" became known as the "Black Diamonds" for their distinctive unit crest. The 92nd Engineers received 14 of the 17 campaign streamers awarded in Vietnam, 4 Meritorious Unit Commendations and the Vietnamese Civil Action Honor Medal First Class.
In October 1990, the 92nd Engineer Battalion deployed to Southwest Asia for Operation Desert Shield. The Battalion was awarded campaign streamers for the defense of Saudi Arabia and the Liberation and Defense of Kuwait, and received its fifth meritorious unit commendation.
In September 1995 the 92nd Engineer Battalion was deactivated at Fort Gordon.
In October 1999 soldiers of the 92nd Engineer Battalion, Fort Stewart, Georgia, positioned poles for the installation of security wire around the Third Army Headquarters in Mubarak Military City, Egypt, as part of Exercise Bright Star.
In 2001, a bridge, originally constructed in the 1960s, was completely rebuilt by 20 Russian soldiers of the 1st Peacekeeping Russian Separate Airborne Brigade (PRSAB) and American engineers of C Company, 648th Engineer Battalion, along with earth moving equipment and personnel from B Company, 92nd Engineer Battalion, Fort Stewart, Geogia, and medical personnel from the 148th Logistics Task Force. The project, in the town of Janja, started Monday, 2 April 2001 and the ribbon cutting ceremony for the bridge was scheduled for 20 April 2001. The bridge connected both parts of the town. After heavy rainfall led to the flooding of the Krizevica River, members of the 92nd Engineer Battalion were called in to help the water-stricken city of Bratunac on 25 June 2001.
Elements of the 92nd Engineer Battalion deployed in mid-November 2001 in support of Operation Enduring Freedom to conduct combat construction missions. During Operation Enduring Freedom, 1st Lt. Laurie Green, a platoon leader with Company B, 92nd Engineer Battalion, lent a hand in a medical clinic operated by US and Spanish doctors and staff near Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan. Green presented jackets and coats to the Afghan children. Students from her hometown of Morehead City, North Carolina, donated the jackets and coats.
In November 2002, the Battalion deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) I. After deploying the equipment in early February 2003 and the Soldiers in early April 2003, the 92nd quickly moved through Kuwait to an airbase just outside An Nasiriyah. The Battalion focused on the development of bed down and logistics sustainment facilities along the main supply route servicing Soldiers operating throughout the area of operations. Upon mission completion, the Battalion moved to Kuwait to execute several missions in support of redeployment tasks. The Battalion deployed in July 2003.
In January 2005, the Battalion deployed to Baghdad in support of Multi-National Division-Baghdad (MND-B) during OIF 04-06. While deployed, the Battalion operated as part of the 36th Engineer Combat Group and provided general construction engineering and chemical force protection support to units in the Baghdad area of responsibility. 276 construction missions were executed to include the construction of an Iraqi tank gunnery range, a headquarters and airfield complex for the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, numerous battalion and brigade headquarters, SEA Huts, and the repair of over 100 IED craters, The following units were attached to the 92nd Engineer Battalion during its deployment: 92nd Chemical Company, C/365th Engineer Combat Battalion (Heavy) (US Army Reserve) and C/107th Engineer Battalion (US Army National Guard).
In late 2006 the 92nd Engineer Battalion again prepared to deploy again in support of OIF 06-08.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|