4th Brigade, 87th Division (Training Support)
As part of the transformation of First US Army and the structure of US Army training units beginning in 2006, the subordinate brigades of the 87th Division were subsequently inactivated.
The 4th Brigade, 87th Division (Training Support) mission was to assist in increasing the overall unit proficiency of Reserve Component units. The Brigade accomplished this by teaching, coaching, mentoring, and evaluating Reserve counterparts in the numerous collective, leader, and individual tasks that a unit had to perform to the Army standard in order to be combat effective. The training support assistance that the Brigade provided was driven by the established priorities for training. Within these priorities there were 3 categories of training assistance: LANES Training, Mobile Training Teams, and Functional Assistance. The Brigade training assistance visits focused on training a supported unit's leadership on METL related tasks, designed to improve overall unit readiness and enhance self-sufficiency.
To support its mission, the 4th Brigade, 87th Division (Training Support) had a number of training support battalions assigned to it. The 2nd Training Support Battalion, 347th Regiment was a multi-component unit located at Fort Gordon, Georgia. Training support and evaluations were provided for Army Reserve and Guard units located in South Carolina. The 3rd Battalion, 345th Regiment was located at Fort Gillem, Georgia. The 3/345th Regiment provided combat support/combat service support training support to Army National Guard and Army Reserve units throughout the Southeastern United States. It needed soldiers who were dedicated professionals with a desire to lead and shared their technical and tactical experience. Retraining was available to most soldiers. Schools and promotions were a priority also. The unit had multiple positions available and could accept any MOS from the rank of E-5 thru E7 (enlisted) and O-1 thru O-3 (officer). Vacancies were in the following branches: Ordnance, Quartermaster, Signal, Medical and Infantry. The 2nd Battalion, 347th Regiment and the 1st Battalion, 349th Regiment were eventually reassigned to the 5th Brigade, 87th Division (Training Support).
The 4th Brigade, 87th Division (Training Support) was first constituted on 1 July 1916 in the Enlisted Reserve Corps as a Signal Corps battalion. It was organized September-October 1917 in Arkansas as the 15th Reserve Field Signal Battalion. It was ordered into active military service on 5 October 1917 at Camp Pike, Arkansas and was concurrently redesignated as the 312th Field Signal Battalion and assigned to the 87th Division. After deploying as part of the 87th Division to Europe to serve in the Great War, the unit was demobilized on 2 April 1919 at Camp Dix, New Jersey.
The unit was reconstituted on 4 September 1936 in the Organized Reserves and was concurrently consolidated with the 87th Signal Company (first organized in December 1921 in the Organized Reserves with Headquarters at Jackson, Mississippi). The consolidated unit was designated as the 87th Signal Company, an element of the 87th Division (later redesignated as the 87th Infantry Division). The unit was ordered into active military service on 15 December 1942 and reorganized at Camp McCain, Mississippi. After serving with the 87th Infantry Division in the European Theater of Operations during World War II, the unit was inactivated on 21 September 1945 at Fort Benning, Georgia.
The unit as reactivated on 1 March 1947 at Birmingham, Alabama. An element of the Organized Reserves, the Division remained a part of this organization was it was redesignated on 25 March 1948 as the Organized Reserve Corps, which was in turn redesignated on 9 July 1952 as the Army Reserve. The unit was inactivated on 30 April 1954 at Birmingham, Alabama.
The 87th Signal Company was consolidated on 17 October 1999 with Headquarters, 4th Brigade, 87th Division (Exercise) (first activated on 1 October 1993 at Fort Gillem, Georgia). The consolidated unit was reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters, 4th Brigade, 87th Division (Training Support) and allotted to the Regular Army at Fort Stewart, Georgia.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|