2nd Brigade, 87th Division (Training Support)
As part of the transformation of First US Army and the structure of US Army training units beginning in 2006, the subordinate brigades of the 87th Division were subsequently inactivated.
The 2nd Brigade, 87th Division (Training Support) was composed of Regular Army, United States Army Reserve, and United States Army National Guard soldiers and civilians. Its mission was to provide command and control to the 7 battalions located in Florida and Puerto Rico in support of Reserve Component training and readiness. The Brigade also had the mission to provide Military Support to Civilians Authorities in Florida and Puerto Rico during and after natural disasters.
The 2nd Brigade, 87th Division (Training Support) was first constituted on 5 August 1917 in the National Army as the 312th Ammunition Train and assigned to the 87th Division. It was organized in September 1917 at Fort Logan H. Roots, Arkansas. After deploying as part of the 87th Division to Europe to serve in the Great War, the unit was demobilized on 14 March 1919 at Camp Dix, New Jersey.
The unit was reconstituted on 31 July 1936 in the Organized Reserves and concurrently consolidated with the 312th Ammunition Train (first organized in December 1921 in the Organized Reserves with Headquarters at New Orleans, Louisiana) and the consolidated unit was designated as the 312th Ammunition Train, an element of the 87th Division. The unit was converted and redesignated on 30 January 1942 as the 912th Field Artillery Battalion, and remained assigned to the 87th Division (later redesignated as the 87th Infantry Division). It was ordered into active military service on 15 December 1942 and reorganized at Camp McCain, Mississippi with the rest of the 87th Infantry Division. After serving with the 87th Infantry Division in the European Theater of Operations during World War II, the unit was inactivated on 21 September 1945 at Fort Benning, Georgia.
The unit was reactivated on 7 June 1947 at Birmingham, Alabama. It was relieved on 1 March 1952 from assignment to the 87th Infantry Division. An element of the Organized Reserves, the Division remained a part of this organization was it was redesignated on 25 March 1948 as the Organized Reserve Corps, which was in turn redesignated on 9 July 1952 as the Army Reserve. The unit was inactivated on 1 October 1952 at Birmingham, Alabama.
Headquarters, 912th Field Artillery Battalion was consolidated on 17 October 1999 with Headquarters, 2nd Brigade, 87th Division (Exercise) (first activated on 1 October 1993 at Louisville, Kentucky) and the consolidated unit was reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters, 2nd Brigade, 87th Division (Training Support) and allotted to the Regular Army at Patrick Air Force Base, Florida. The remainder of the 912th Field Artillery Battalion was concurrently disbanded. The 158th Infantry Brigade (Training Support) was concurrently inactivated and reflagged as 2nd Brigade, 87th Division (Training Support).
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|