86th Combat Support Hospital
"Achievement Is Our Goal"
The mission of the 86th Combat Support Hospital is to deploy and establish rapidly in order to provide Level III health service support to joint and/ otherwise coalition forces engaged in full spectrum operations and be prepared to assume Medical Task Force command and control and conduct split based operations.
The 86th Evacuation Hospital was constituted on 21 December 1928, and activated as part of the Regular Army on 20 March 1944 at Camp Bowie, Texas. The unit provided medical care during World War II and was awarded the Asian-Pacific Theater campaign. The hospital was then inactivated in Osaka, Japan on 29 January 1946.
On 18 April 1967 the 86th Evacuation Hospital was re-activated and in September 1988, the hospital converted to a 402 bed modular deployable medical systems (DEPMEDS) Hospital, containing 296 beds, 8 operating tables and a staff of 406 personnel. With this configuration the 86th Evacuation Hospital deployed in support of Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm from 21 October 1990, until April 1991. The hospital supported the XVIII Airborne Corps providing comprehensive medical and surgical services in combat. For its outstanding accomplishments, the 86th Evacuation Hospital was awarded the Meritorious Unit Commendation.
From December 1992, until May 1993 the 86th Evacuation Hospital deployed to Mogadishu, Somalia, and established a Level III hospital in support of Operation Restore Hope. Upon return to Fort Campbell in November 1993, the 86th Evacuation Hospital converted to the Medical Force 2000, (MF2K) CSH, containing 296 beds, 8 operating tables and a staff of 606 personnel. The hospital deployed five times during the next 10 years with this configuration.
In September 1994, the 86th CSH deployed in support of Operation Restore Democracy in Haiti, and in November 1998, deployed soldiers to El Salvador in support of Operation Fuerte Apoya (Strong Support), providing disaster relief in the aftermath of Hurricane Mitch.
On 19 September 2001, the 86th CSH deployed Task Force Medical Falcon V to Kosovo in support of Operation Joint Guardian. Six weeks later, the unit made a historic first, simultaneously deploying with Task Force 261 to Uzbekistan and Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.
From January 2003 until July 2003, the 86th CSH deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, fielding two hospitals, one in Camp Udairi, Kuwait, and another in LSA Adder, Iraq, both consisting of 84 beds.
After converting to a 248-bed MRI CSH in October 2004, the 86th CSH was called upon to deploy and provide world-class health care by establishing two Level III hospital facilities; at LSA Adder, Iraq, and in Baghdad, Iraq, in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom 04-06. During this deployment the 86th CSH added to the legacy of the Army Medical Department and the unit by achieving many historic firsts. These accomplishments include: the first level III facility to institute the Platelet Aphaeresis system in theater, first to introduce thromboelastograph technology in theater, first level III to fully implement the Medical Communications for Combat Casualty Care (MC4) system, the first facility to initiate retrospective research in a combat theater and first to establish a training program in which Iraqi physicians trained under and worked beside U.S. Army doctors. In addition, the hospital was the fourth busiest level III trauma facility in the world, the laboratory transfused over 17,000 units of blood products and the radiology workload was more than double of its stateside counterparts. Most importantly, the CSH was part of an AMEDD team that ensured more than 91% of all injured Soldiers survived, the highest wartime survival rate in military history up to that point.
The subordinate detachments of the 86th fell in line with this standard of excellence. The 772nd Forward Surgical Team (FST) recently returned form a deployment to OIF 05-06, where they set the standard for FST surgical care. The 212th Combat Stress Control (CSC) and the 61st Preventative Medicine (PM) Detachment were deployed to OIF through 2008, where they provide support to America's Finest. The 61st PM Detachment also supported disaster relief efforts in New Orleans after hurricane Katrina and was often called upon for CONUS PM support missions. All of the Soldiers and families from these detachments represent the finest traditions of the AMEDD.
The hospital has a long and distinguished history of deployment. Assigned to the 44th MEDCOM, the 86th CSH is proud of its support relationship with the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, Kentucky. With the transformation of the 101st Airborne Division to the US Army's new modular force structure beginning in 2004, the 86th CSH, which had previously been attached to the Division as a whole, was reattached to the 101st Sustainment Brigade. This unit was the successor for both the 101st Division Support Command (DISCOM) and 101st Corps Support Group (which was subequently deactivated).
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|