4th Brigade, 85th Division (Training Support)
The Brigade provides training assistance, support, and evaluation to priority Reserve Component (RC) units and all other units within capabilities. It provides command and control of subordinate units, and synchronizes training support within area of responsibility in order to enhance individual and unit readiness to meet directed mobilization and/or wartime requirements. On order, the Brigade activates or augments Mobilization Assistance Teams (MAT) to assist installation commanders in post-mobilization training and validation of mobilized units for deployment. On order, it deploys a Defense Coordinating Officer (DCO) and/or a Defense Coordinating Element (DCE) to coordinate Military Support to Civilian Authorities (MSCA) during federal disaster response operations.
Approximately 11 officers, warrant officers and NCOs from the 4th BDE (TS), 85th Division, served as Observer Controller/Trainers (OC/Ts) on Jan. 8, 2001, for the 29th Aviation Brigade STAFFEX, which was held at Fort A.P. Hill, Va. The purpose of the STAFFEX was to assist with training and observation of the 29 th 's battalion and brigade level staff work as they prepare to deploy to Bosnia in support of SFOR 10. The 4th Brigade, which included personnel from the 1st (TS)(AV), 337 th Regiment, are assisting the 78th Division (TD) with the mobilization of the 29th. The STAFFEX tested the 29 th 's ability to conduct the Military Decision Making Process during simulated Steady State Operations in a Bosnia scenario. Units participating in the Brigade STAFFEX included: 1st Battalion (Attack), 183rd Aviation Battalion, Idaho Army National Guard; 2nd Battalion (Assault), 224th Aviation Battalion, Maryland/Virginia National Guard, and 498th MEDEVAC Company, Fort Benning, GA. During the STAFFEX, 4th BDE OC/Ts provided feedback that is designed to enhance staff operation.
Constituted 5 August 1917, in the National Army as the 310th Supply Train and assigned to the 85th Division. Organized in September 1917 at Camp Custer, Michigan (Companies A and B demobilized 23 August 1919 at Camp Grant, Illinois; Company B demobilized 25 June 1919, at Camp Custer, Michigan. econstituted 21 September 1936, in the Organized Reserves: concurrently consolidated with the 410th Quartermaster Regiment (organized in November 1921 in the Organized Reserves as the 85th Division Train, Quartermaster Corps, with Headquarters at Kalamazoo, Michigan (location of the Headquarters changed 1 February 1924, to Jackson, Michigan); redesignated 23 March 1925, as the 85th Division Quartermaster Train (location of the Headquarters changed 31 July 1925, to Flint, Michigan); redesignated 1 July 1936, as the 410th Quartermaster Regiment, an element of the 85th Division (later redesignated as the 85th Infantry Division). The location of the headquarters changed 7 April 1937, to Detroit Michigan. Redesignated 31 March 1942 as the 410th Quartermaster Battalion. Ordered into active military service 15 May 1942, and reorganized at Camp Shelby, Mississippi as the Ordnance Maintenance Platoon, Headquarters Company, 410th Quartermaster Battalion. It reorganized and redesignated 14 September 1942, as the 785th Ordnance Light Maintenance Company, an element of the 85th Infantry Division. Disbanded 25 August 1945 at Camp Patrick Henry, Virginia. Reconstituted 6 November 1946, in the Organized Reserve as the 785th Ordnance Light Maintenance Company and assigned to the 85th Division. Redesignated 16 April 1947, as the 785th Ordnance Maintenance Company. Activated 7 May 1947, at Glen Ellyn, Illinois. Location changed 15 March 1948, to Chicago, Illinois. Reorganized and redesignated 16 February 1953 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 785th Ordnance Battalion. The battalion disbanded 1 June 1959, in Chicago, Illinois. Headquarters, 785th Ordnance Battalion, reconstituted 24 November 1967, in the Army Reserve as the Headquarters, 4th Brigade, 85th Division (training). Activated 31 January 1968, in Chicago, Illinois. Inactivated 1 June 1973 in Chicago, Illinois.
Redesignated 1 October 1993 as Headquarters, 4th Brigade, 85th Division (Exercise) and activated at Fort Sheridan, Illinois.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|