3rd Brigade, 85th Division (Training Support)
"The Bayonet Brigade"
The 3rd Brigade provides training assistance and evaluation to priority Reserve Component units and non-priority units within available capabilities and synchronizes Active and Reserve Component training support in Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan to enhance individual and unit readiness to meet directed mobilization and/or wartime requirements.
The Training Support Battalion (TSB) is a training support unit which active duty soldiers are stationed with National Guard Enhanced brigades, to provide the best possible training. The 76th Brigade's trainers are from the 2-335(TS), 3rd Brigade, 85th Division (TS).
On order, activates or augments Mobilization Assistance Teams (MAT) to assist installation commanders in post-mobilization training and validation of mobilized units for deployment. On order, deploys a Defense Coordinating Officer (DCO) and/or a Defense Coordinating Element (DCE) to coordinate Military Support to Civilian Authorities (MSCA) during federal disaster response operations.
The 3d Brigade, 85th Division (Training Support) was constituted 5 August 1917 in the National Army as the 310th Engineers and assigned to the 85th Division. Organized 25 August 1917 at Camp Custer, Michigan. Regiment (less 1st Battalion) demobilized 5 July 1919 at Camp Custer, Michigan (1st Battalion demobilized 24 July 1919 at Camp Sherman, Ohio). Reconstituted 24 June 1921 in the Organized Reserves as the 310th Engineers and assigned to the 85th Division (later redesignated as the 85th Infantry Division). Organized in November 1921 with Headquarters at Detroit, Michigan. Reorganized and redesignated (less 2d Battalion) 31 March 1942 as the 310th Engineer Battalion (2d Battalion -- hereafter separate lineage). Ordered into active military service 15 May 1942 and reorganized at Camp Shelby, Mississippi. Redesignated 1 August 1942 as the 310th Engineer Combat Battalion. Disbanded 25 August 1945 at Camp Patrick Henry, Virginia. Reconstituted 6 November 1946 in the Organized Reserves as the 310th Engineer Combat Battalion and assigned to the 85th Infantry Division. Activated 3 January 1947 with Headquarters at Chicago, Illinois. Organized Reserves redesignated 25 March 1948 as the Organized Reserve Corps; redesignated 9 July 1952 as the Army Reserve. Reorganized and redesignated 1 January 1953 as the 310th Engineer Battalion. Location of Headquarters changed 1 September 1955 to Rock Island, Illinois. Disbanded (less Companies A and B) 1 June 1959 at Rock Island, Illinois (Companies A and B -- hereafter separate lineages). Headquarters, 310th Engineer Battalion, reconstituted 24 November 1967 in the Army Reserve as Headquarters, 3d Brigade, 85th Division (Training). Activated 31 January 1968 at Des Plaines, Illinois. Location changed 1 September 1972 to Arlington Heights, Illinois; on 1 February 1992 to Selfridge Air National Guard Base, Michigan.
Reorganized and redesignated 1 October 1993 as Headquarters, 3d Brigade, 85th Division (Exercise). Reorganized and redesignated 17 October 1999 as Headquarters, 3d Brigade, 85th Division (Training Support) and allotted to the Regular Army at Fort Benjamin Harrison, Indiana.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|