2nd Brigade, 85th Division (Training Support)
Eagle Brigade [ex-12th Support Brigade]
On Oct. 17, 1999, the 12th Support Brigade was reflagged as the 2nd Brigade, 85th Division (TS) and merged with the existing 2nd Brigade (Field Exercise), 85th Division (Exercise). The reorganization created a unique unit consisting of active-component, National Guard, civilian and drilling U.S. Army reservists.
The 2nd Brigade 85th Div (TS) increases the combat readiness of reserve component soldiers and units in Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota; in order to enhance their ability to execute missions throughout the full spectrum of army operations. Plan, prepare and on order, execute mobilization and deployment of reserve component units to provide combat ready forces to the warfighting CINCs. On order provide military support to civil authorities in the event of a federal disaster.
The 2nd Brigade is commanded by a colonel. The brigade's staff consists of active-component, National Guard and United States Army Reserve officers, noncommissioned officers, warrant officers and civilians. The brigade is comprised of battalions located at Fort McCoy, Wis.; Arden Hills, Minn.; and Philip H. Sheridan Reserve Center, Ill.
The 2nd Brigade provides assistance to approximately 43,000 soldiers from more than 300 units each year. These figures include assistance provided at Fort McCoy, as well as assistance provided at unit home stations throughout Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois.
The 2nd Brigade currently occupies facilities in the 1900 block at Fort McCoy. The facilities are used for day-to-day administration and operation of activities for the organization, as well as for classroom and storage space.
The 2nd Brigade, 85th Division (TS) provides branch, functional, special training assistance and conducts Training Assessment Module (TAM) and Lane Evaluations for U.S. Army Reserve and National Guard commands and units to attain and/or sustain individual and unit readiness. Upon a declaration of mobilization, assigned personnel will be detailed as members of a Mobilization Assistance Team, which is attached and located at a Power Projection Platform, to assist in training and validating mobilized reserve-component commands and units for deployment.
The 2nd Brigade provides training, technical assistance, lane and simulation planning and evaluates lane training for reserve-component combat, combat support and combat service support units in Wisconsin, Illinois and Minnesota to enhance unit and individual readiness and to meet directed wartime and mobilization requirements.
When directed, the 2nd Brigade deploys a defense-coordinating element to coordinate military support to civil authorities during presidentially directed federal response operations. When directed, the 2nd Brigade activates or augments Mobilization Assistance Teams to assist the Fort McCoy installation commander in training and validating units that report to Fort McCoy when mobilized for deployment
Readiness Groups were formed as part of a series of major Department of the Army actions designed to modernize, reorient and streamline the Army's organization within the Continental United States. On Jan. 11, 1973, Readiness Groups were established as active-component organizations with the mission to assist, teach and improve the readiness posture of reserve-component units assigned to them. Readiness Group Camp McCoy was established at that time. On Oct. 2, 1997, Readiness Groups were redesignated as Training Support Brigades. Merging Readiness Groups with Regional Training Brigades formed the brigades. The restructuring was designed to meet the Army's changing needs for the 21st Century by ensuring the readiness of the reserve components to meet the Army's worldwide missions
The 2nd Brigade (Field Exercise) has a rich history and was initially organized as an element of the 85th Division (Training) in September 1917 at Camp Custer, Mich., and was constituted in the National Army as the 310th Ammunition Train. The unit was demobilized in 1919 and again reconstituted in 1936 in the Organized Reserves. In 1942, the unit was redesignated as the 910th Field Artillery Battalion. In May 1942, the unit was ordered to active military service at Camp Shelby, Miss. During World War II, members of the battalion participated in the Rome-Arno, Po Valley and North Apennines campaigns. In November 1967, the battalion's Headquarters and Headquarters Battery were reconstituted in the Army Reserve as the Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 2nd Brigade, 85th Division (Training). The brigade was redesignated as the 2nd Brigade (Field Exercise), 85th Division (Exercise), and, on Oct. 17, 1999, became a vital component of the endstate training support brigade designated the 2nd Brigade, 85th Division (TS).
The 2d Brigade, 85th Division (Training Support) was constituted 5 August 1917 in the National Army as the 310th Ammunition Train and assigned to the 85th Division. Organized in September 1917 at Camp Custer, Michigan. Demobilized 29 April 1919 at Camp Custer, Michigan. Reconstituted 28 October 1936 in the Organized Reserves; concurrently consolidated with the 310th Ammunition Train (organized in January 1922 in the Organized Reserves with Headquarters at Sault St. Marie, Michigan) and consolidated unit designated as the 310th Ammunition Train, an element of the 85th Division. Converted and redesignated 31 March 1942 as the 910th Field Artillery Battalion, and remained assigned to the 85th Division (later redesignated as the 85th Infantry Division). Ordered into active military service 15 May 1942 and reorganized at Camp Shelby, Mississippi. Disbanded 25 August 1945 at Camp Patrick Henry, Virginia.
Reconstituted 6 November 1946 in the Organized Reserves as the 910th Field Artillery Battalion and assigned to the 85th Infantry Division. Activated 15 June 1947 at Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Organized Reserves redesignated 25 March 1948 as the Organized Reserve Corps; redesignated 9 July 1952 as the Army Reserve. Relieved 1 March 1952 from assignment to the 85th Infantry Division and assigned to the 84th Infantry Division . Disbanded 15 May 1959 at Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Headquarters, 910th Field Artillery Battalion, reconstituted 24 November 1967 in the Army Reserve as Headquarters, 2d Brigade, 85th Division (Training). Activated 31 January 1968 at St. Louis, Missouri. Location changed 1 February 1993 to Fort McCoy, Wisconsin. Reorganized and redesignated 1 October 1993 as Headquarters, 2d Brigade, 85th Division (Exercise).
The 12th Support Brigade was one of the forerunners of the present day 1st Corps Support Command. That new command ushered in a new era of Army combat service support by providing a strong helping hand in foreign and domestic crises - and more locally by using its units in support of Fort Bragg. The brigade's mission was to provide combat service support to XVIII Airborne Corps and Fort Bragg in the areas of supply, services, maintenance, transportation, medicine, ammunition and construction. Four major commands made up the brigade: the 55th Medical Group, the 269th Ordnance Group, the 774th Transportation Battalion and the 160th Engineer Group. A test of combat service support came early for the newly-activated command when brigade units deployed to the Dominican Republic in 1965. From 1965 to 1968 the 12th Support Brigade also helped activate, organize, train and deploy more than 140 units to assist 1st Log Command in its combat service support mission in Vietnam. The 12th Support Brigade was inactivated June 22, 1972, when the 1st FASCOM was redesignated as the 1st Corps Support Command and moved to Fort Bragg to assume its mission of support.
In 1967 the 726th Supply and Service Company, 12th Support Brigade returned from the Dominican Republic bringing back with it two mules. When the brigade commander saw the two mules in their makeshift corral, the 774th's Self Help Shop, he was moved to get approval and begin displaying the "Kicking Mule" as the brigade's Mascot. At the time the brigade's motto was, "Depend on us". Since mules have long symbolized dependability, the new mascot made perfect sense. In 1972, 1st COSCOM arrived at Fort Bragg, and upon it's assignment assumed the mission of the now deactivated 12th Support Brigade and its mascot.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|