759th Military Police Battalion
The 759th Military Police Battalion, "Lone Sentinel," was first constituted on 19 August 1942 in the Army of the United States as the 759th Military Police Battalion and activated on 15 September 1942 at Fort Ontario, New York. The cadre was comprised of 4 officers and 107 enlisted soldiers from the 712th Military Police Battalion and 3 officers from the Provost Marshal General School at Fort Ogelthorpe, Georgia. The Battalion remained at Fort Ontario undergoing training until March 1943 when it moved to New York City and was engaged in dock security.
In April 1943, the Battalion moved to Fort Dix, New Jersey, where it underwent intensive training and acted as escort for prisoners of war trains. The end of July found the Battalion enroute to Camp Patrick Henry, Virginia. There the battalion was organized into prisoner of war teams of one officer and 32 enlisted Soldiers, and by late August 1943, all were overseas in Oran, Algeria, except a skeleton headquarters of 5 officers and 16 enlisted Soldiers. In Algeria, Military Policemen were assigned to patrol Oran and the villages nearby, handle traffic control for trucks moving in and out of the port, and guarding supply facilities and POW collection points that were scattered all the way to Bizerte, Algeria. Late October 1943, 2 prisoner of war teams returned and the rear detachment moved to Fort Dix, New Jersey and prepared for the expected return of the rest of the prisoner of war teams. However, the remainder of the battalion deployed 15 December 1943 to Oran, Algeria.
On 28 December 1943, the Battalion sailed for Naples, Italy for duty with the Fifth US Army, where it was billeted in the stables of the "King's Palace." The Battalion moved after the Fifth Army through Capua and Sessa and on 10 June 1944, they participated in General Clark's Grand Parade through the streets of Rome.
Continuing with the Fifth Army, performing traffic control and general security missions, the Battalion moved on through Rome to Siena. There on 19 July 1944, orders were received for the Battalion to return to Naples. Duty with the Fifth Army was completed and the Battalion was assigned to the Seventh Army for the impending invasion of Southern France. On 21 July 1944, the Battalion was in bivouac below Anzio and the next morning the companies left for their respective assignments, each being assigned to provide security and traffic control on the various landing beaches. The successful landing was made with only 2 fatalities, Private First Class Ralph C. Carter, and Private First Class Pasquale A. Sergio, both of Company B.
In October 1944, the 36th Infantry along with the 759th Military Police Battalion rushed northward towards the Ardennes, to link with General Bradley's 12th Army Group. The Battalion was stationed just south of Bastogne to provide traffic control for General Patton's supply vehicles as they prepared for the upcoming battle. On 1 January 1945, German soldiers dressed in American uniforms and speaking english attempted to infiltrate American lines. Military Police from the Battalion help thwart this attempt and their alertness helped allow General Bradley's armada to breakthrough enemy lines.
From the Ardennes, the 759th Military Police Battalion moved towards the Rhine River with General Patton's Third and General Patch's Seventh Armies. The Military Policemen were spread throughout several locations including Mannheim, Heidelberg, and Phorzeim, ahead of the infantry, setting up patrols and directing traffic. Victory in Europe (VE) Day found the Battalion in possession of 5 Battle stars for the campaigns in Italy (Naples-Foggia, Rome-Arno), Southern France (with arrowhead for its participation in the initial assault), Rhineland, and Central Europe.
From VE Day until early October 1945, the Battalion engaged in reorganization and training, a large portion of the Battalion attending the Military Police School at Bar-Le-Duc, France. During this period there were many personnel changes in the Battalion, as "high point" Soldiers left for the States and were replaced by "low point" Soldiers. The Battalion was tentatively scheduled for duty in the Pacific theater, then for re-deployment, but finally in mid-October 1945, the 759th Military Police Battalion was chosen for what was considered the prize assignment of the occupation, relocation to the city of Berlin. The Battalion coined the phrase "Law East of the Elbe," that lasted until the US occupation ended in 1989 after the collapse of the Berlin Wall.
By the end of October 1945, the move to Berlin was completed and the 759th Military Police Battalion relieved the 713th Military Police Battalion of duty. Headquarters, A, and C Companies were billeted at 86-89 Kaiserallee, B Company at 10 Geygerstrasse, and D Company at 10 Scharfestrasse. Companies A, B, and D were the patrol companies and Company C was the service company, furnishing all escorts, the interior guard for the Command Post and maintaining the Motor Pool at Kaiserallee. In April 1947, the Battalion moved to Roosevelt Barracks. The 4 line companies were assigned patrol areas and the Headquarters and Headquarters Company personnel assumed responsibility for escorts, special details and operation of the Military Police District Headquarters. One of the initial duties assigned to the Battalion was the training and equipping of a cadre of German police. The Battalion kitchens also fed the local populace and organized German American Youth Clubs. The Battalion was reorganized and redesignated on 17 September 1947 as the 759th Military Police Service Battalion.
In 1948, the Battalion assisted in the Berlin Airlift during the Soviet blockade of the city. The Battalion served so well during the blockade of the city, that the memorial "Luftbrucke," which was subsequently built to commemorate the event, was included on the Distinctive Unit Insignia of the 759th Military Police Battalion.
In August 1949, the 513th Military Police Service Platoon and the 18th Military Police Service Platoon were formed into a provisional company and designated Company E, 759th Military Police Battalion, with duties of interior guard of the Berlin Military Police Headquarters Compound.
In March 1950, the Battalion prepared to move from Roosevelt Barracks to McNair Barracks in the city of Berlin. A Company made the initial move on 29 March 1950. The movement of the entire Battalion was not completed until 11 June 1950. At that time all company messes were abolished and a Battalion Consolidated Mess, which had been partially operating since 28 April 1950, was officially established.
The Battalion Motor Pool was established in Andrews Barracks and remained the motorpool for the Military Police until the inactivation of Berlin Brigade. Early in March 1950, the Battalion was relieved of some of its military police commitments by Company C, 382nd Military Police Service Battalion, stationed in Bremerhaven, Germany; the 526th Military Police Service Company, stationed in Hanau, Germany; and the 511th Military Police Service Platoon, stationed in Mannheim, Germany. These organizations, augmented by the 513th and 18th Military Police Service Platoons, assumed the military police functions of Berlin Military Post, and the Battalion went into intensive tactical training. On 1 June 1950, the Battalion resumed its police duties in Berlin.
On 20 November 1950, the 18th and 513th Military Police Service Platoons were inactivated and the 759th Military Police Service Battalion was reorganized and redesignated as the 759th Military Police Battalion under modified versions of TOEs 19-55, 19-56, 19-57, less Company D. On 24 November 1950, the Horse Platoon, previously attached to the 16th Constabulary Squadron was inactivated and personnel and all equipment were transferred to the 759th Military Police Battalion. The personnel remained intact as a Provisional Horse Platoon with authorization for one officer, 37 soldiers and 52 horses.
In addition to the Battalion's primary military function of policing Berlin, it also operated the Post Provisional Guardhouse, and 2 checkpoints on the corridor through the Soviet Zone. One checkpoint was located at the Hemelin Bridge (Check Point Bravo) in Berlin and the other was at Helmstedt, Germany (Check Point Alpha, within the British Sector of Northern Germany). A Highway Patrol Section with 3 patrol sedans patrolled the corridor from Berlin to Helmstedt. The Battalion was formally allotted on 26 November 1952 to the Regular Army and was inactivated on 1 November 1953 in Germany..
The Battalion was reactivated on 6 June 1968 at Fort Dix, New Jersey. Its organic elements were inactivated on 1 November 1970 at Fort Dix, New Jersey. At that time, the Battalion consisted of a Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, the 412th Military Police Company, 511th Military Police Company and the 555th Military Police Company. The primary missions of the Battalion included law enforcement, support of Fort Dix OPLANs as directed by the Commanding General, and providing operational support to the US Army Training Center at Fort Dix as directed by the Commanding General.
On 14 March 1972, the 532nd Military Police Company was attached to the Battalion. The Company was reassigned in 1980 to the US Army Training Center at Fort Dix, New Jersey. On 3 June 1974, the 555th Military Police Company was transferred to Fort Lee, Virginia. On 19 September 1978, the 412th Military Police Company was detached from the Battalion and reassigned to control of Headquarters, Department of the Army and later relocated to Fort Polk, Louisiana.
The Battalion supported Cuban resettlement operations in 1980 and 1981 at Fort McCoy, Wisconsin. By 1984, the composition of the Battalion had changed and consisted of Headquarters and the Battalion Headquarters Detachment, 511th Military Police Company, D/39th Engineers, the 363rd Transportation Company, and the 556th Medical Company. In October 1986, the 556th Medical Company was inactivated and on 14 August 1987, the 363rd Transportation Company was also inactivated. The 759th Military Police Battalion was relocated to Fort Carson, Colorado in 1987. The 984th Military Police Company came under control of the Battalion upon arrival to Fort Carson. D Company, 39th Engineer Battalion remained at Fort Dix, New Jersey.
From 6 August 1990 to 4 December 1990, Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment and the 984th Military Police Company deployed to Panama in support of Operation Promote Liberty. Their mission was to protect US citizens, US property, and US interests in support of the nation building process.
In 1991, the Battalion deployed in support of Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm. The Battalion was awarded the Meritorious Unit Commendation and Streamer embroidered SOUTHWEST ASIA. From 1992-1993, the 984th Military Police Company deployed to Somalia in support of Operation Restore Hope. The company was awarded the Joint Meritorious Unit Award.
On 20 October 1993, the 59th Military Police Company moved from Germany to Fort Carson and was assigned to the 759th Military Police Battalion. From 9 September 1994 to 23 January 1995, Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment and the 59th Military Police Company deployed to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Their mission was to provide humanitarian and civil affairs operations in support of Cuban and Haitian migrant camps. For their efforts, the Battalion was awarded the Joint Meritorious Unit Award and Streamer embroidered GUANTANAMO BAY.
On 16 June 1998, Company A of the Garrison Military Police was redesignated as the 148th Military Police Detachment, and began operations as a deployable military police unit under the 759th Military Police Battalion. In 1999, the 759th Military Police Battalion was awarded the Superior Unit Citation for distinguishing itself by deploying and redeploying subordinate units and individual soldiers in support of 2 major contingency operations, 3 major training exercises, and numerous Secretary of Defense and United States Army Forces Command support missions, while simultaneously providing force protection and law enforcement support of the Fort Carson community.
The 984th Military Police Company deployed to Bosnia in support of Stabilization Force 7 (SFOR7) assisting in multiple airlifts on 14, 15, and 20 September 2000. By 2000, the Battalion had been assigned to the 43rd Area Support Group, part of US Army Forces Command (FORSCOM).
Following te events of 11 September 2001, the Battalion deployed to the Military District of Washington in support of Operation Noble Eagle. There they provided security to the Pentagon.
In September 2002, the 984th Military Police Company deployed to Guantanamo Bay Cuba in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Soldiers provided security at the detention facilities and were involved in multiple air-bridge missions to Afghanistan. The Company was awarded the Joint Meritorious Unit Commendation.
In 2003, the 59th Military Police Company deployed to Baghdad, Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. The Company was located at Camp Victory and conducted numerous patrols in the vicinity of the camp as both law enforcement and combat operations. The company redeployed in April 2004. In January 2004, the Battalion deployed to Baghdad, Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom II. Upon arrival into theater, the Battalion was put in charge of numerous Iraqi Police stations on the east side of the Tigris River. The augmented Battalion consisted of its Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, the 984th Military Police Company, the 630th Military Police Company, the 571st Military Police Company, the 272nd Military Police Company, the 415th Military Police Detachment (USAR), G/1-258th Field Artillery, and C/3-112th Fielf Artillery. The soldiers provided training to the Iraqi Police in areas of force protection, patrolling, and station operations.
In April 2004, the 984th Military Police Company closed down the Al-Hawza newspaper office that had backed anti-US leader Muqtada Al-Sadr, for printing anti-coalition propaganda. As a result of that operation, Sadr's military force, the Mahdi Army, began attacking Iraqi Police stations. Soldiers from the Battalion began manning these stations 24 hours a day in effort to repel these attacks. By June 2004, most of the companies in the Battalion were out of police stations and began conducting area security operation throughout the city.
In October 2004, the Battalion jumped TOC to the Abu Ghraib Prison to support the 3rd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion and 1st Cavalry Division in Fallujah. Soldiers from the 984th Military Police Company and 630th Military Police Company provided security to the major access roads into Fallujah, allowing freedom of movement for coalition forces. There, several Soldiers were awarded Purple Hearts for wounds received on patrol. The Battalion redeployed between January and February 2005 and was awarded the Meritorious Unit Commendation for its time in Iraq.
The Lone Sentinel Battalion once again was called upon to Iraq in Support of Operation Iraqi Freedom 06-08 departing Fort Carson on 24 August 2006 and serving in Iraq until their redeployment on 12 November 2007. The Battalion was the first military police battalion to endure the 15 month deployment. Task Force Lone Sentinel consisted of 17 companies and over 2000 Soldiers that included military police, infantry, and field artillery units.
Serving alongside the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, and the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division in East Baghdad, the Battalion oversaw the equipping and training of the Iraqi Police in over 60 Iraqi Police Stations there. Elements of the Battalion also served in Kalsu, Babil, Iskandaria, Diwaniyah, and Al Kut. The Task Force logged over 1,000,000 miles on the road and conducted over 60,000 combat patrols during their combat service in Iraq. The 984th Military Police Company deployed in September 2006, remaining deployed until December 2007, serving in the Quadasiyah and Wassit Provinces south of Baghdad. In July 2007, the 59th Military Police Company deployed as a part of the US "Surge" effort, serving with Task Force Lone Sentinel until the Battalion Colors redeployed in November 2007. The 59th Military Police Company served in the Salman Pak and Nahrwan Districts of South East Baghdad.
The Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment redeployed on 12 November 2007 (Veteran's Day) and the 984th Military Police Company Company returned on 14/15 December 2007, just in time for the Christmas Holiday. In 2008, the 43rd Area Support Command, as part of the transformation of the US Army to the modular force structure, was reorganized and redesignated as the 43rd Sustainment Brigade. The Battalion remained at Fort Carson, Colorado, but became assigned directly to FORSCOM. Training, readiness and authority was, however, provided for the unit by the 42nd Military Police Brigade, I Corps at Fort Lewis Washington.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|