725th Brigade Support Battalion
725th Main Support Battalion
The mission of the 725th Brigade Support Battalion is to reset and retrain an Airborne Support Battalion that is capable of conducting Strategic deployment/redeployment, Sustainment and Force Health Protection (FHP), and Force Protection (FP) operations worldwide.
The 725th Brigade Support Battalion was first constituted on 26 August 1941 in the Army of the United States as the Maintenance Platoon, Headquarters Company, 325th Quartermaster Battalion, an element of the 25th Infantry Division. The unit was activated on 1 October 1941 at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii. It was reorganized and redesignated on 1 August 1942 as the Ordnance Maintenance Platoon, Headquarters Company, 325th Quartermaster Battalion, on 1 November 1942 as the 725th Ordnance Light Maintenance Company (remaining assigned to the 25th Infantry Division), and again on 20 March 1946 as the 725th Ordnance Maintenance Company. The unit served with the 25th Infantry Division during the Second World War in 4 campaigns: Central Pacific, Guadalcanal, Northern Solomons, Luzon. After the Second World War the unit was allotted on 27 June 1949 to the Regular Army.
It participated in 10 campaigns of the Korean War as part of the 25th Infantry Division: UN Defensive, UN Offensive, CCF Intervention, First UN Counteroffensive, CCF Spring Offensive, UN Summer-Fall Offensive, Second Korean Winter, Korea, Summer-Fall 1952, Third Korean Winter, and Korea Summer 1953. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 1 February 1953 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 725th Ordnance Battalion, and remained assigned to the 25th Infantry Division with its organic elements concurrently constituted and activated.
The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 15 July 1963 as the 725th Maintenance Battalion. It served with the 25th Infantry Division through 12 campaigns of the conflict in Vietnam: Counteroffensive, Counteroffensive Phase II, Counteroffensive Phase III, Tet Counteroffensive, Counteroffensive Phase IV, Counteroffensive Phase V, Counteroffensive Phase VI, Tet 69/Counteroffensive, Summer-Fall 1969, Winter-Spring 1970, Sanctuary Counteroffensive, and Counteroffensive Phase VII.
The unit was converted and redesignated on 16 April 1992 as the 725th Support Battalion and remained assigned to the 25th Infantry Division as part of the Division Support Command (DISCOM). This lasted until it was inactivated on 15 November 2005 at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii, and relieved from assignment to the 25th Infantry Division. This was as part of the transformation of the 25th Infantry Division to the US Army's modular force structure. As a result elements that had previously been held at division level, but habitually attached to the Division's brigades during operations were made organic to the new modular brigade combat teams. The Division Support Command was subsequently inactivated.
The 725th Brigade Support Battalion was reactivated on 16 September 2006 at Fort Richardson, Alaska, and assigned to the 4th Airborne Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division as its organic support battalion. Concurrently, the 167th Brigade Support Battalion was inactivated and its personnel reflagged as the 725th Brigade Support Battalion.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|