702nd Brigade Support Battalion
702nd Main Support Battalion
"The Deuce" / "Warrior Main"
The 702nd Brigade Support Battalion is organized with a Headquarters and Headquarters Company, a supply company, a maintenance company, a medical company, and 4 forward support companies. The forward support companies are attached to each of 4th Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division's other battalions.
Prior to its reorganization as part of the transformation of the 2nd Infantry Division to the US Army's new modular force structure, the 702nd Main Support Battalion was the largest Main Support Battalion in the US Army, totaling over 1,100 authorized soldiers organized into a headquarters detachment, and 6 companies. The battalion supported the entire 2nd Infantry Division of over 15,000 soldiers and provided back up support to 2 Forward Support Battalions. It was located in Camp Casey about 45 miles north of Seoul, Korea and only 13 miles south of the Demilitarized Zone and North Korea.
A Company, 702nd Main Support Battalion provided food, water, and supplies to all 2nd Infantry Division soldiers and provided back-up support to Forward and Aviation Support Battalions. It deployed teams to produce water and deliver rations forward and could send 5,000 gallon tankers of fuel forward to logistical release points. It also received, stored and issued supplies at the Division's warehouse and was prepared to deploy all supplies to the Division Support Area.
B Company, 702nd Main Support Battalion, provided 5 ton cargo truck support for all 2nd Infantry Division soldiers with emphasis for 2 air assault battalions and support on the DMZ. It provided 5 ton tractor and trailer support for movement of supplies and rations forward. It provided Heavy Equipment Transport (HET) for movement of tracked vehicles over Korean roads. B Company traced its history to the organization of the 13th Transportation Battalion, which was activated at Fort Richardson, Alaska on 20 June 1957. The Battalion was later reorganized on 14 June 1958 at Fort Benning, Georgia and joined the Second Infantry Division as a distinct transportation unit under the divisional organization. The unit consisted of tracked and wheeled assets in support of the 2nd Infantry Division. On 1 March 1963, as part of the reorganization of the Division, motor elements of the 13th Transportation Battalion combined with the 2nd Quartermaster Company to form the 2nd Supply and Transportation Battalion consisting of a Headquarter and Headquarters Company, A Company (Supply and Services), and B Company (Transportation). The 2nd Supply and Transportation Battalion deployed to Korea with the 2nd Infantry Division in 1966. On 17 October 1989, the 2nd Supply and Transportation Battalion was inactivated under the Division Support Command (DISCOM) AOE reorganization and B Company became the Transportation Motor Transport Company of the newly activated 702nd Main Support Battalion.
C Company provided medical care for all 2nd Infantry Division soldiers with treatment platoons, ambulance platoons, and preventive medicine and mental health sections. It provided dental, optical and pharmacy support and operated a medical warehouse capable of forward deployment. C Company traced its origins back to the original 2nd Sanitary Train from the 2nd Infantry Division of World War I. The 2nd Sanitary Train served with the 2nd Infantry Division in France until the Armistice signing of 11 November 1919. In 1921, the 2nd Sanitary Train was reorganized and designated in October 1939 as the 2nd Medical Battalion. During World War II the Battalion actively participated in 24 battles on the continent and was entitled to full honors for 5 battle campaigns. On 10 July 1950, the Battalion was alerted for the immediate shipment to the Far East Command. Platoons of the Ambulance and Clearing Companies were attached to 3 Infantry Regiments in the 2nd Infantry Division. The Battalion participated in the Korean Conflict from 1950 through the early part of 1954. The Battalion returned to the United States on 20 August 1954 and was stationed at Fort Lewis, Washington until 16 December 1957 when it transferred, less personnel and equipment, to Department of Army control pending reorganization. The Battalion was reorganized in June 1958 at Fort Benning, Georgia, with the transfer of personnel and equipment from the 10th Mountain Division, which was currently deactivated. Since the Battalion's reorganization, the 2nd Infantry Division. In 1989 the Army went to the Support Battalion concept and reorganized the 2nd Medical Battalion. On 16 October 1989, the Area Medical Support Company and Headquarters Section of the 2nd Medical Battalion joined the newly activated 702nd Main Support Battalion as F Company. On 16 September 1999 F Company was redesignated as C Company, 702nd Main Support Battalion.
D Company operated a division warehouse for repair parts for the entire Division. It repaired small fuel and electric starters, generators and heaters. It provides missile repairs for Artillery systems with a missile repair team at Camp Stanley and a back up team at Camp Casey to assist the Forward Support and Aviation Support Battalions. It also repairs communications and electronics equipment for 2nd Infantry Division.
E Company supported the entire 2nd Infantry Division of over 15,000 soldiers and provided back up support to 2 Forward Support Battalions. The "Executioners" were located in Camp Casey about 45 miles north of Seoul, Korea and only 13 miles south of the Demilitarized Zone and North Korea. E Company was redesignated on 15 September 1999 when the 702nd Main Support Battalion reduced in size from 7 companies to 6 companies. Previously D Comany, the Heavy Equipment repair company adopted the E Company position after the deactivation of the Missile maintenance program, to which E Company had originally be assigned. Subsequently, E Company, 702nd Main Support Battalion provided heavy equipment repair of vehicles, tracked vehicles, power generation equipment and armament equipment. The Company also performed allied trades missions of recovery of equipment, welding and machining.
The 702d Main Support Battalion, "The Deuce" or "Seven-oh Deuce", was originally organized in January and February 1918 as the Machine Shop Truck Unit #348 and Machine Shop Truck Unit #343 at Fort Sam Houston and Camp Meigs, Washington, DC. The unit was first assigned to the 2nd Division (later 2nd Infantry Division) on 8 April 1920, and became part of the 2nd Division Trains, Quartermaster Corps, in 1921, as Motor Repair Section #3.
The unit was redesignated several times within the next few years, with the first significant change occurring in 1936. The unit was reorganized and redesignated 1 May 1936 as Company E, 2nd Quartermaster Regiment. The unit was again reorganized and redesignated in 1939 as the Maintenance Platoon Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 2nd Quartermaster Battalion, 2nd Infantry Division. More reorganization and redesignations followed and by September 1942, the 702nd Ordnance Light Maintenance Company was in existence, gearing for the extensive participation in World War II. The unit served with distinction in the European theater of operations and received for its efforts two Meritorious Unit Citations and the Belgian Fourragerre.
After World War II, more redesignations and reorganizations occurred, until 1 February 1953, when the 702nd Ordnance Battalion came into being, with its subordinate organic companies activated concurrently with the 2nd Infantry Division. The Battalion participated extensively in the Korean conflict through 1954 and received 2 additional Meritorious Unit citations and 2 Korean Presidential Unit citations.
After the Korean conflict the 702nd Ordnance Battalion became the 702nd Maintenance Battalion on 4 April 1963. On 16 October 2009, the unit was redesignated as the 702nd Main Support Battalion, which was subsequently activated as the base unit of the Army of Excellence (AOE), 2nd Infantry Division, Support Command (DISCOM). The DISCOM was reorganized under AOE to keep abreast of the modernization of the Division and to better support the Army's Airland Battle Doctrine. The reorganization created 4 multifunctional support battalions from the 3 functional battalions of the old DISCOM. As such, each battalion of the DISCOM shared the history of the DISCOM.
The 702nd Main Support Battalion was reorganized 15 September 1999, being reduced in size from 7 companies to 6 companies. A ceremony marked the deactivation of E Company (Missile Maintenance) and the re-designation of C, D and F companies. The reduced the personnel strength authorization from this change was from 1073 to 994.
E Company, the Battalion's missile maintenance company, had been responsible for all DS ground level missile maintenance for 2nd Infantry Division, as well as class IX missile repair parts. This unit had also provided DS automotive support to the Uijonbu military area. E Company's missions would be redistributed to other 702nd units, as well as the new 602nd Aviation Support Battalion. Additionally, the reorganization ceremony marked the redesignation of C Company (Light Maintenance) to D Company; D Company (Heavy Maintenance) to E company; and F Company (Medical) to C Company. The "Warrior Main" remained focused on mission support, teamwork, safety, security, discipline and continues to provide outstanding support to DISCOM and the 2nd Infantry Division.
In 2005, the 2nd Infantry Division began a reorganization because of both a transformation of the Division to the US Army's new modular force structure and changes in the structure of US Forces in Korea. As part of the modular force structure, support elements previously held at division level and attached during operations became organic to the division's brigades. The 702nd Main Support Battalion was subsequently redesignated as a Brigade Support Battalion, and assigned to the 2nd Fires Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division.
In 2006, the 2nd Fires Brigade was reflagged as the 210th Fires Brigade, with the 702nd Brigade Support Battalion being assigned to that Brigade. In September 2007, the 702nd Brigade Support Battalion was inactivated and its personnel reflagged as the 70th Brigade Support Battalion. The 702nd Brigade Support Battalion was subsequently reactivated as part of the reorganized 4th Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division in 2009, with 202nd Brigade Support Battalion being inactivated and its personnel reflagged.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|