610th Brigade Support Battalion
In 2007, the 610th Brigade Support Battalion was inactivated and its personnel reflagged as the 701st Brigade Support Battalion. The 701st Brigade Support Battalion took up the role of organic support battalion to the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division.
The 610th Brigade Support Battalion was originally constituted on 18 July 1942 in the Army of the United States as Headquarters and Service Company, 1st Battalion, 304th Ordnance Regiment. It was later activated on 12 October 1942 at Camp Sutton, North Carolina. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 10 June 1943 as Headquarters and Service Company, 610th Ordnance Base Armament Maintenance Battalion. It served in the Rhineland and Central Europe campaigns of WWII.
The unit was inactivated on 6 December 1948 at Red River Arsenal, Texas, but was activated again on 15 March 1950 in Japan. After this reactivation, the unit was allocated to the Regular Army on 25 October 1951 and was reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters, Headquarters and Service Company, 610th Ordnance Battalion on 20 March 1953. The unit was inactivated on 28 March 1954 in Japan.
The unit was redesignated on 7 April 1966, as Headquarters and Main Support Company, 610th Maintenance Battalion and was activated on 24 May 1966 at Fort Lewis, Washington. Prior to its inactivation on 30 June 1971 in Vietnam, the unit had served in the Tet Counteroffensive, Summer-Fall 1969 and Winter-Spring 1970 campaigns.
The unit was redesignated on 29 July 1988 as the 610th Ordnance Battalion. Its Headquarters was concurrently transferred to the United States Army Training and Doctrine Command and activated at Fort Belvoir, Virginia. The location of Headquarters changed 16 September 1993 to Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland. The unit was inactivated on 2 October 1993 at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland.
On 16 January 2006, the unit was redesignated as the 610th Brigade Support Battalion and reactivated as part of the activation of the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division, part of the Army's transformation towards a modular force. The unit was inactivated again in 2007 and its personnel reflagged as the 701st Brigade Support Battalion.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|