6th Squadron (Attack Reconnaissance), 17th Cavalry Regiment
6th Squadron (Attack), 17th Cavalry Regiment
6th Squadron (Attack Reconnaissance), 17th U.S. Cavalry Regiment's mission is to deploy, on order, to a contingency area of operations and conduct attack, reconnaissance, and security operations in conjunction with other maneuver forces. It would also, on order, command and control an aviation task force across the full spectrum of military operations.
The 6th Squadron (Attack), 17th Cavalry Regiment was first constituted and activated as Troop F, 17th Cavalry Regiment on 1 July 1916 at Fort Bliss, Texas. The 17th Cavalry as a whole was transferred to Douglas, Arizona on 17 May 1917 in response to the need for additional border security and to quiet labor unrest in the Arizona copper mines. In April 1919, the 17th Cavalry was ordered to Schofield Barracks Hawaii, relieving the 4th Cavalry Regiment. The 17th Cavalry was charged with the defense of the island of Oahu's shoreline, less Honolulu and Pearl Harbor, until September 1921 when the Regiment was transferred to the Presidio of Monterey, California to be inactivated on 21 September 1921.
Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 17th Cavalry, was redesignated on 9 March 1951 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 17th Armored Cavalry Group and concurrently consolidated with Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 17th Armored Group. The Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 17th Armored Group had been first constituted on 26 February 1943 in the Regular Army as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 1st Armored Group and activated on 20 March 1943 at Fort Knox, Kentucky. It was reorganized and redesignated on 20 November 1943 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 17th Armored Group. During the Second World War, the 17th Armored Group served in the Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace and Central Europe campaigns while attached to the XII Corps. The 17th Armored Group was inactivated on 30 April 1946 in Germany. The consolidated unit was designated as the 17th Armored Cavalry Group, with the remainder of the 17th Cavalry Regiment, including Troop F, was concurrently disbanded.
Between 1 March 1957 - 4 May 1959 Troops A through M, 17th Cavalry were reconstituted. Headquarters and Headquarters Company, of what had become the 17th Armor Group was inactivated on 4 May 1959 at Fort Stewart, Georgia and redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 17th Cavalry. Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 17th Cavalry, and the reconstituted troops of the 17th Cavalry, were consolidated, reorganized and redesignated on 4 May 1959 as the 17th Cavalry, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System.
Troop F, 17th Cavalry was reconstituted on 15 September 1965 as a brigade reconnaissance troop, assigned to the 196th Infantry Brigade (Separate) (Light) and activated at Fort Devens, Massachusetts. Troop F arrived in Vietnam on 26 August 1966 with the 196th Infantry Brigade, which was attached to the 25th Infantry Division as its fourth maneuver brigade and based at Tay Ninh. The 196th Infantry Brigade, including Troop F, participated with the 25th Infantry Division in some of the largest operations of the Vietnam War including Operations Attleboro, Cedar Falls and Junction City, with Troop F conducting reconnaissance and security missions throughout the Brigade's areas of operations.
In late April and early May 1967, the 196th Infantry Brigade was sent north to join Task Force Oregon and was initially stationed at Chu Lai in Military Region 1. From 1967 to 1972, Troop F distinguished itself in the conduct of cavalry operations in support of 196th Infantry Brigade elements operating in the areas of Chu Lai Tam Ky, Hoi An and Da Nang. Troop F received 4 awards of the Republic of Vietnam's Cross of Gallantry with Palm and received campaign participation credit for 14 Vietnam campaigns. Troop F was the last ground cavalry troop to leave Vietnam, departing on 31 March 1972. It was inactivated following its return from Vietnam.
On 16 November 2005, Troop F was reorganized, redesignated and activated as Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 6th Squadron, 17th Cavalry Regiment, with its organic elements concurrently constituted and activated, at Wheeler Army Air Field, Hawaii and assigned to the Combat Aviation Brigade, 25th Infantry Division as an OH-58D Kiowa Warrior squadron.
In May 2006, 6th Squadron, 17th Cavalry began its move to Fort Wainwright, Alaska. The unit was reflagged as the 2nd Squadron, 6th Cavalry, which remained an element of the 25th Infantry Division's Combat Aviation Brigade. It reactivated in Alaska as an element of Task Force 49, US Army Alaska. There the mission of the 6th Squadron (Attack), 17th Cavalry Regiment is to, on order, conducts rapid deployment to a contingency area of operations and conducts the full spectrum of reconnaissance, security operations and close combat attack in support of the Joint Task Force scheme of maneuver. It would also, on order, exercise command and control over an aviation task force across the full spectrum of military operations.
In July 2008, the Squadron deployed with D Company, 123rd Aviation Regiment and a Detachment from B Company, 209th Aviation Support Battalion. Task Force Saber was stationed across Northern Iraq in 5 different locations and flew over 45,000 hours supporting numerous units on the ground. Additionally, the Squadron conducted over 60,000 miles of combat logistic patrols. In July 2009, the Squadron redeployed back to Alaska and in October 2009 became an element of the 16th Combat Aviation Brigade. Eventually, the unit was reorganized as an attack reconnaissance cavalry squadron.
On 1 August 2011, the 16th Combat Aviation Brigade completed its move to Joint Base Lewis-McChord from Fort Wainwright, Alaska. Established in in 2009 to control aviation operations in Alaska, a function previously performed by Task Force 49, 16th Combat Aviation Brigade had subsequently evolved into a command for various aviation assets within I Corps, resulting in the decision to move the command. It was subsequently determined, however, that 16th Combat Aviation Brigade could not effectively control the aviation assets in Alaska that remained and a new command, the US Army Alaska Aviation Task Force was subsequently established to provide command and control for 1st Battalion, 52nd Aviation Regiment and 6th Squadron, 17th Cavalry Regiment.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|