Find a Security Clearance Job!

Military




532nd Military Intelligence Battalion
"Black Horse"

The mission of the 532nd Military Intelligence Battalion is to provide timely and relevant intelligence to joint and combined warfighters.

The 532nd Military Intelligence Battalion was first constituted on 16 February 1951 at Stuttgart, Federal Republic of Germany, as the 532nd Military Intelligence Service Company. The "Black Horse" motto and unit crest were a reminder of this lineage. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 20 September 1951 as the 532nd Military Intelligence Service Battalion and again on 20 October 1953 as the 532nd Military Intelligence Battalion.

The unit's 3 companies trace their history to subordinate units of the new Battalion. These were the 427th Counter Intelligence Corps Detachment, 521st Military Intelligence Company, and 526th Military Intelligence Company.

The 427th Counter Intelligence Corps Detachment was first constituted on 12 July 1944 in the Army of the United States and activated on 22 August 1944 on Corsica. It was allotted on 16 February 1951 to the Regular Army.

The 521st Military Intelligence Company was first constituted 5 September 1950 in the Regular Army as the 521st Military Intelligence Service Detachment and activated in Japan. It was reorganized and redesignated on 28 December 1951 as the 521st Military Intelligence Service Platoon, on 1 September 1952 as the 521st Military Intelligence Service Company and lastly on 28 March 1954 as the 521st Military Intelligence Company.

The 526th Military Intelligence Company was first constituted on 18 April 1946 in the Army of the United States as the 526th Interrogation Team and activated on 1 May 1946 in Germany. It was inactivated on 6 November 1946 in Germany. It was redesignated on 6 February 1948 as the 526th Headquarters Intelligence Detachment and activated on 21 February 1948 at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. It was allotted on 5 May 1949 to the Regular Army. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 23 May 1949 as Headquarters, 526th Military Intelligence Platoon, on 4 August 1949 as the 526th Military Intelligence Service Platoon, on 28 August 1951 as the 526th Military Intelligence Service Company, and lastly on 20 October 1953 as the 526th Military Intelligence Company.

The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 25 June 1958 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 532nd Military Intelligence Battalion. The 521st Military Intelligence Company, 427th Counter Intelligence Corps Detachment, and 526th Military Intelligence Company were concurrently reorganized and redesignated as Companies A, B, and C.

Finally, after nearly 11 years of service in support of United States Army, Europe (USAREUR) and Seventh US Army, the 532nd Military Intelligence Battalion was deactivated on 1 June 1962.

The Battalion was reactivated on 16 October 1986 in Korea as part of 501st Military Intelligence Brigade.




NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list