Find a Security Clearance Job!

Military


510th Personnel Services Battalion

In 2007, the 510th Personnel Services Battalion was inactivated as part of the transformation of the US Army.

The mission of the 510th Personnel Services Battalion was to provide personnel and postal support in the European Central Region. It would deploy/redeploy a battalion task force/subordinate elements in support of war/stability operations, conduct sustainment operations, and provide critical personnel and postal support in areas of responsibility.

The 510th Personnel Services Battalion was first constituted on 13 April 1944 in the Army of the United States the 510th Replacement Company. The Company was activated on 15 June 1944 in Anzio, Italy. The 510th Replacement Company participated in several campaigns during World War II: the North Apennines, Po Valley, and Rome-Arno. After the Second World War the Company was disbanded on 6 August 1945 at Caserta, Italy.

The unit was reconstituted on 27 September 1951 and allotted to the Regular Army as the 510th Replacement Company. It was activated on 1 November 1951 in Korea. The Company took part in 4 campaigns during the Korean War and was awarded the Meritorious Unit Commendation and the Korea Presidential Unit Citation. On 25 March 1953, the Company was inactivated in Korea.

The unit was reactivated on 1 February 1966 at Fort Benning, Georgia as the 510th Replacement Company and was sent to the Republic of Vietnam. There the company participated in 14 separate campaigns, including the Tet Counteroffensive. The Company was awarded the Meritorious Unit Commendation 4 times before it was inactivated 30 April 1972 in Vietnam.

The unit was redesignated on 21 October 1978 as the 510th Personnel Service Company and was activated in Vicenza, Italy. The unit provided personnel services to the Southern European Task Force (SETAF). It was reorganized and redesignated on 16 November 1994 as the 510th Personnel Services Battalion and was moved to Mannheim, Germany. The Battalion's subordinate units were organized from: 69th Personnel Service Company, 187th Personnel Service Company, 379th Personnel Service Company, 569th Personnel Service Company, and 127th Adjutant General Company (Postal).

The 69th Personnel Service Company in Karlsruhe, Germany was inactivated while a subordinate unit of the 21st Personnel Group in Kaiserslautern, Germany on 15 May 1993. Its soldiers continued to provide expert personnel support as members fo the 187th Personnel Service Company Composite Team until 15 June 1994, when they were reflagged as Detachment A, 510th Personnel Service Battalion.

The 187th Personnel Service Company in Mannheim, Germany was expanded on 16 May 1993 to include the Heidelberg and Karlsruhe Composite Teams, serving nearly 14,000 soldiers. On 16 June 1994, the 187th Personnel Service Company was reflagged as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 510th Personnel Service Battalion serving the Mannheim and Worms communities.

The 379th Personnel Service Company in Heidelberg, Germany was inactivated while a subordinate unit of the 26th Area Support Group on 15 May 1993. Its soldiers continued to provide expert personnel support as members of the 187th Personnel Service Company Composite Team until 15 June 1994 when they were reflagged as Detachment B, 510th Personnel Service Battalion.

The 510th Personnel Service Company in Vicenza, Italy, a subordinate Personnel Service Company to the US Army Southern European Task Force, was reflagged as Detachment D, 510th Personnel Service Battalion, and continued to provide expert personnel support to SETAF.

The 569th Personnel Service Company in Augsburg and Stuttgart, Germany, formerly part of V Corps, joined the 1st Personnel Command and was subsequently reflagged as Detachment C, 510th Personnel Service Battalion. Additionally, its headquarters moved from Augsburg to Stuttgart.




NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list