Special Troops Battalion, 1st Brigade Combat Team
The mission of the 1st Special Troops Battalion is to exercise command and control over the separate companies and attachments of 1st Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division during operations. It provides the Brigade Combat Team (BCT) special mission capabilities, and on order plans and executes the BCT's rear area security mission in order to enable the BCT to accomplish assigned objectives. Additionally the Special Troops Battalions provides integration and command and control for units attached from outside the BCT.
The Special Troops Battalion, 1st Brigade Combat Team was first constituted on 19 November 1917 in the Regular Army as Headquarters Troop, 4th Division and organized on 16 December 1917 at Fort Ethan Allen, Vermont. During the First World War, the unit participated in 5 campaigns as the headquarters of the 4th Division: Aisne-Marne, St. Mihiel, Meuse-Argonne, Champagne 1918, and Lorraine 1918. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 1 March 1921 as Headquarters and Military Police Company (less Military Police Platoon), 4th Division and inactivated on 21 September 1921 at Camp Lewis, Washington.
The unit was reactivated on 1 June 1940 at Fort Benning, Georgia. It was reorganized and redesignated on 6 July 1942 as Headquarters Company, 4th Division, on 1 August 1942 as Headquarters Company, 4th Motorized Division, and again on 4 August 1943 as Headquarters Company, 4th Infantry Division. During the Second World War, the unit participated in another 5 campaigns: Normandy (with arrowhead indicating participation in the initial assault), Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe. The unit was inactivated on 12 March 1946 at Camp Butner, North Carolina.
It was reactivated on 15 July 1947 at Fort Ord, California and served there until it was disbanded on 13 June 1960 at Fort Lewis, Washington.
The unit was reconstituted on 21 August 1963 in the Regular Army as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Brigade, 4th Infantry Division and activated on 1 October 1963 at Fort Lewis, Washington. The unit went on to serve in 11 campaigns in Vietnam: Counteroffensive Phase II, Counteroffensive Phase III, Tet Counteroffensive, Counteroffensive Phase IV, Counteroffensive Phase V, Counteroffensive Phase VI, Tet 69/Counteroffensive, Summer-Fall 1969, Winter-Spring 1970, Sanctuary Counteroffensive, and Counteroffensive, Phase VII.
The unit was inactivated on 15 October 1995 at Fort Carson, Colorado. It was reactivated on 16 January 1996 at Fort Hood, Texas.
Headquarters Company, 1st Brigade, 4th Infantry Division, was reorganized and redesignated on 16 December 2004 as Special Troops Battalion, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division. Headquarters, 1st Brigade, 4th Infantry Division thereafter had a separate lineage.
The Special Troops Battalion was subsequently activate as part of the reorganized and redesignated 1st Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, which had reorganized under the modular force structure. The unit was organic to and specifically designated to the 1st Brigade Combat Team. As part of the modular transformation various assets that had previously been held at division level, but habitually assigned to brigades during operations were made organic to those brigades. The Special Troops Battalion consisted of 56 different military occupational specialties and a diverse range of equipment which provided for greater mobility and independence of the 1st Brigade. The unit consisted of a Headquarters and Headquarters Company, Military Intelligence Company, Signal Company and Military Police Platoon. Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 299th Engineer Battalion had been reflagged to form the Headquarters and Headquarters Company. A company each from the 104th Military Intelligence Battalion and 124th Signal Battalion had been reflagged to form the military intelligence and signal companies respectively. Elements of the 4th Military Police Company had reflagged as the military police platoon organic to the Headquarters and Headquarters Company.
As of January 2006, the Special Troops Battalion of 1st Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division was deployed to Camp Taji, located 10 miles northwest of Baghdad, Iraq. Upon return from that deployment, the unit moved in November 2006, along with the rest of the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division to Fort Carson, Colorado, as part of a larger realigment of US Army units.
Following its return from Iraq in late 2006, the Brigade Special Troops Battalion, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division moved from Fort Hood, Texas to Fort Carson, Colorado. This was as part of larger realignment of US Army units.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|