489th Engineer Battalion (Combat Corps Mechanized)
The mechanized engineers of 489th Engineer Battalion (Combat Corps Mechanized) offer the United States trained and motivated soldiers to accomplish any mission required for the protection of the nation and preservation of freedom.
Participating in public events and memorials is an excellent way to accomplish community relations objectives. These representatives of the Army serve as ambassadors to the civilian community and promote patriotism, interest in the Army, and awareness of forces' professionalism. Elements of the 489th Engineer Battalion, 420th Engineer Brigade USAR), helped a rural community near Little Rock, Arkansas, plan, develop, and build a local recreational area for the general public.
The 489th Engineer Battalion unit crest bears the French phrase "AU FORT DU COMBAT" as the motto. Translated, this means "In the Thick of the Fight". The scarlet and white colors on the crest are indicative of the colors of the Corps of Engineers. The Pile, an ancient herald symbol, represents the function of the military engineers. The escallops on the piles on either corner of the shield represent the two campaigns the unit participated in during World War II.
This battalion was first organized in 1942 at Schofield Barracks, Territory of Hawaii, as the 1st Battalion, 367th Engineer Regiment (Special Service). On 26 April 1944, the battalion was redesignated the 1398th Engineer Construction Battalion and provided service in the Pacific and Ryukus Campaigns. The battalion was awarded the Meritorious Unit Commendation Ribbon with Oak Leaf Cluster in 1945. The Battalion was inactivated on 20 February 1946 at Okinawa.
The Battalion was allotted to the Organized Reserve and was assigned to Fourth US Army on 20 FEB 1947. It was activated on 6 MAR 47 at New Orleans, Louisiana. Redesignated the 489th Engineer Construction Battalion on 3 JUN 1948. Reorganized and redesignated the 489th Engineer Combat Battalion on 26 NOV 1948. The battalion was inactivated on 6 OCT 1950 at New Orleans. The battalion was reactivated in 1955. In March 1959, Company C was moved from Pine Bluff, Arkansas to Little Rock, Arkansas. The first and second platoons of Company B were moved to Pine Bluff from Malvern, Arkansas. Company A remained in Hot Springs.
The battalion was ordered to active duty effective 15 OCT 61 pursuant to General Order #107, Headquarters, Fourth U.S. Army, dated 21 SEP 61. This order assigned the unit to the Third U.S. Army with mobilization station at Fort Benning, Georgia. The 489th was released from active duty 9 AUG 62 and returned to home station to continue Reserve Duty Training. The home station for HHC remained at Pine Bluff, Company A at Hot Springs, Company B at Pine Bluff and Company C at Little Rock, Arkansas.
In 1966 HHC, 489th was moved to Little Rock; Company C was moved back to Pine Bluff and Company B to Conway, Arkansas. In January 1967, Company D was added to the battalion and located in Harrison, Arkansas. In April of 1967, the 489th Engineer Battalion was honored in Washington, D.C. for an Outstanding Unit Award that was presented by the Assistant Secretary of the Army.
During 1980, the battalion was called upon to provide a task force to help clean up the burned-out buildings and to restore a sense of normalcy to Fort Chaffee, Arkansas after the Cuban Riots at that location during the "Boat People" crises.
During 1989 Annual Training conducted at Fort Chaffee, Arkansas, Company D's 1st Platoon constructed a suspension bridge at Devil's Den State Park, located west of Winslow, Arkansas, during the annual training period. 1990 Annual Training was conducted at Fort Chaffee, Arkansas. Battalion fielded Small Emplacement Excavators (SEE) and was used to construct training areas for JRTC, then stationed at Ft. Chaffee.
Annual Training was conducted early at Fort Hood Texas 2 - 18 JAN 91. This training was only performed by Company D due to Operation Desert Shield. Company D provided support to the 16th Engineer Bn (Ft. Carson) while providing OPFOR for mobilizing units as they validated their METL. Company D was officially commended for extraordinary meritorious service in support of Operation Desert Storm. Annual Training was conducted at Fort Chaffee, Arkansas 30 MAY 92 - 13 JUN 92. Annual Training was conducted at Fort Chaffee, Arkansas 10 JUL 93 - 23 JUL 93. Battalion was fielded the M113s.
Annual Training was conducted at Fort Hood, Texas 31 JUL 94 - 13 AUG 94. Company D was deactivated and Company C was moved to Harrison, Arkansas on 16 OCT 94. in 1995 elements of Company C deployed to Germany to receive training with Company A at CMTC. The remainder of the battalion performed Annual Training at Ft. Chaffee, Arkansas and supported River Crossing Operations with the 353d Engineer Group. 1996 Company C performed their Annual Training at the National Training Center, Fort Irwin, California between 4 AUG 96 and 24 AUG 96. Annual Training conducted at Fort Chaffee, Arkansas 12-28 JUN 97. The battalion supported the 45th SIB (OKNG). Annual Training conducted at Fort Hood, Texas in support of the 45th SIB (OKNG) 30 May - 11 JUN 98. C
The Salt Lake Tribune reported on February 7, 2004 that the 489th Engineer Battalion had returned from Iraq following a thirteen month deployment.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|