44th Corps Support Battalion
The 44th Corps Support Battalion was originally activated at Camp Young, California, on 3 May 1943 as the 4th Quartermaster Troop Transport Battalion. Four months later it was renamed the Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 4th Quartermaster Battalion. The battalion was to play a vital role in the European Theater during World War II, hauling men and munitions, food and fuel to the front line units as they drove across France, Belgium, and Germany.
After sailing to Hereford, England, in April 1944, the battalion was assigned to the First US Army where it received four Light Truck Companies in preparation for the Normandy Invasion. During the Invasion of France, one company landed on D+1, another company on D+3, and the balance of the battalion landed on D+10. All elements landed on Utah Beach. One company provided direct support to the 82nd Airborne Division, while another company provided direct support to the 101st Airborne Division after those divisions parachuted into France on the night of 5 June 1944. Other direct support activities included transporting of the 1st Infantry Division during day and night marches from Normandy to the new battlefields in the vicinity of Brest.
At the end of the war, the battalion was in Leipzig, Germany, but it was moved to Munich and given a depot clearance mission. For its wartime accomplishments, the unit was awarded five battle streamers representing the Normandy, North France, Ardennes-Alsace, Rhineland and Central European campaigns. These streamers are carried on the colors today.
The battalion was temporarily inactivated in March 1946 after being converted to the Transportation Corps. It was reactivated in Okinawa, on June 1949, but inactivated one year later. Final activation came at Fort Eustis, Virginia, on 20 November 1950, when the battalion was assigned to the Regular Army. It remained at Fort Eustis until Operation Gyroscope brought it back to Flak Kaserne, Ludwigsburg, Germany on 7 April 1958.
On 4 December 1990, the battalion deployed to Saudi Arabia in support of Operation Desert Shield/Storm. The battalion provided support to the 1st and 3rd Armor division, 1st Infantry Division, 2nd Armored Calvary Regiment, 11th Aviation Brigade and all VII Corps non-divisional units. The battalion was awarded the Meritorious Unit Commendation for its contributions during Desert Storm. Upon completion of Desert Storm, the battalion redeployed to Flak Kaserne, Germany on 22 May 1991.
The 4th Transportation Battalion was relocated to Fort Lewis, Washington on 22 November 1991 as a member of the 593d Area Support Group. The battalion provides support to all units on Fort Lewis. On 16 October 1992 the battalion was redesignated as the 44th Corps Support Battalion.
On 20 August 1995, the Headquarters and Headquarters detachment deployed to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba providing logistical support for the migrant relief effort during Operation SEA SIGNAL.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|